Seeking spice in Wisconsin

I live in the official Land of White Bread. Sadly, I lost my usually sensitive palate due to the radioactive iodine treatment and no one is quite sure when (or if) it will return. I constantly crave spicy food, as it is all I can taste. Our weekend vacation in Wisconsin Dells revealed that spice can be difficult to come by in the Land of White Bread. Aaron went on a quest to the local Walmart, and came back with one measly bottle of Texas Pete Hot Sauce - the only spicy item he could find! I had to laugh this morning when I unpacked some food from our trip. On the back of a package of corn tortillas...where a spicy recipe of some sort should be located...I found this recipe for Tortilla Casserole. Note: the tortillas were manufactured in Madison.

Tortilla Casserole Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 can french cut green beans
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic (thank goodness!)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups mild cheddar cheese
1 package corn tortillas, torn into pieces

I refuse to post the instructions, lest any of you be tempted to try such a bland concoction! If you want to try it, you'll have to buy a package of El Buen Gusto corn tortillas and read it yourself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have his amazing HOT chili powder that we picked up from the UK -- great stuff, and VERY spicy. Nick put a whole packet in a pot of chili once when he had pnuemonia and couldn't smell/taste anything. He tasted that! Can see if his mom can send a packet if you want - we need some more anyway, so it won't be too much trouble. :)

Oh, and try Festival foods... they have foreign foods and you can usually get spices there. I think I actually did see some curry paste at Wal- Marthe other day, but if you want some curry recipes, let me know... some are mild, some are hot, but all have good flavor. :)

I'll give you some recipes for breads with spices too, if you want. :)

Hugs,

Nora

Post a Comment