The narrow escape

I have been in the hospital for four days. Dealing with chronic illness lays your soul bare and opens an ear to the whispers of evil. There are times when you go dancing with the inner demons, the triumphs of sin in the expanse of your life. You lift the ruby red blanket of Christ's sacrifice and allow those demons to jump back out from underneath, cackling and carrying you on their backs down the path of dangerous thoughts. I am not good enough. I am not worthy of the life I've been given. Look at all these awful things I've done! Do they not condemn me forever? Am I not marked as a wicked one?

The Jews of ancient times ascribe Lamentations to Jeremiah, the "weeping prophet". In my darkest times of soul distress and distrust, the words of this book scream like dervishes confirming my worst fears about myself:
All who honored her despise her, for they have seen her nakedness; she herself groans and turns away. Her filthiness clung to her skirts; she did not consider her future. Her fall was astounding; there was none to comfort her. All your enemies open their mouths wide against you; they scoff and gnash their teeth and say, "We have swallowed her up. This is the day we have waited for; we have lived to see it." As if it were a feast day, you call enemies to terrify me on every side. (from Lamentations 1 and 2)
I've danced in the minefields for one day too long. I am weak and weary. If I were writing a Psalm, I would repeat the words of David, Do not cast me from Your presence, but grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. (Psalm 51:11a & 12b) I gather things around me, books, Bibles, my thumbprint cross, the tattoo on my wrist that says, Choose life (from Deuteronomy 30). As talisman against the darkness.

I think back on this present trial, the worst of it 8 weeks long now, and there are a few things to rejoice in. I suffered 8 weeks of impulsive thoughts pushing me toward the place I have chosen not to go, and at the end of the 8 weeks I chose triumphantly with all the weapons at hand. I believe this turning, this repentance - the Hebrew word  שׁוּבָה transliterated "shubah", meaning a return or a turning away from - is counted by God above as gold, silver, and precious stones.

I return home stronger, although despair and hopelessness still nip at my heels. I have seen redemption worked out in my life again, and I have lived to tell the story, I love to tell the story -  because I know 'tis true; it satisfies my longings as nothing else can do (I Love to Tell the Story, by Arabella Hankey, 1860's).
Are you dancing with your demons? Are you surrounded on every side? May the blanket of white snow that is Christ's covering salvation return your demons to dust, and may you find peace in the sanctification of the Holy Spirit. My prayer for myself, and for you.



Five Minute Friday
"After"

8 comments:

From the Bumpy Road said...

Visiting from Five Minute Fridays - Thank you for these words on redemption. It seems this is the theme of my thoughts recently, too. How does God redeem our darkest corners and our deepest regrets? And how can we swallow our pride to share these stories? I enjoyed your post!

Elizabeth W. Marshall, wynnegraceappears said...

Bless you and thank you for sharing this shapter , this beautiful song of redemption. This brings encouragement and hope into the light. And it carries such healing and faith in the beautiful lines you write. I want to re and re read and rejoice. Thank you for using your gift of writing to tell a story filled with so much Hope. Of walking through the dark into the light. Bless you this day and all the days to come.

Anonymous said...

I heard an old, old story, how a Savior came from glory.
How He gave His life on Calvary to save a wretch like me;
I heard about His groaning, of His precious blood's atoning,
Then I repented of my sins and won the victory.

I heard about His healing, of His cleansing power revealing,
How He made the lame to walk again and caused the blind to see;
And then I cried, "Dear Jesus, come and heal my broken spirit,"
And somehow Jesus came and brought to me the victory.

I heard about a mansion He has built for me in glory,
And I heard about the streets of gold beyond the crystal sea,
About the angels singing and the old redemption story--
And some sweet day I'll sing up there the song of victory.

O victory is Jesus, my Savior forever! He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood; He loved me ere I knew Him, and all my love is due Him-- He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood.
~Eugene M. Bartlett

Nancy said...

Oh, Genevieve. Praying for you in this week following the resurrection, that you will know, "It is finished." His wrath is satisfied. There is only healing, and love, and his longing for you to draw near and rest in Him.

Karmen M. said...

Oh my how I know those days when I dance with the demons and they know me well. They know just how to spin my thoughts and dip my heart so low I don't think it can dip any further before it shatters onto the floor. Then there is redemption, oh sweet redemption that whispers hope in my ear, that stops the nightmarish dancing music of the demons and all the thoughts stop spinning and my heart survives for another day. Praying for you friend and for your healing of mind and body and soul.

L. Hedgecock said...

Kudos to you, writing through your illness and working to inspire others. From where I sit, you've conquered a whole lot of your demons by that alone.

Laura Hedgecock
http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

Turquoise Gates said...

Yes, writing through it is therapy in and of itself. Perhaps that is why God placed the writing bug so strongly in me.

Anonymous said...

Hi! My name's Lucia and I'm doing a high school science project on "how different cancer patients are affected differently", and I was wondering if you could go look at my last post and take the survey? It's completely confidential, and it'll help me a lot! Thanks!(:

Post a Comment