Those who taught ME in my 1st semester as a professor

We spent every Tuesday together, from the wee hours, up to our ears in bodily fluids and call lights and buckets of 0800 meds. Oftentimes I felt less like their guide into the world of clinical nursing practice, and more like a visitor on a unique and ethereal journey of 8 souls finding wings. Beyond the confines of the procedures and the protocols, I witnessed everyday miracles as they learned to love people at their most unlovable moments, to reach deep within themselves and toss away pride to get down on their knees next to someone's bed to offer a moment of comfort in a time of deepest sadness, to cry with someone who is crying, to laugh with someone who is laughing, to find a way to form words with someone who cannot speak.


They all have vastly different personalities...the class clown, the workaholic, the information geek, the helper, the girl with her ear always tuned for the code calls, the quiet one, the advocate, the one with a heart for kids. In 10 short weeks, I had the blessing of looking deeper into their lives, their passions, their hopes and their dreams. But it wasn't they who emerged changed and blessed...it was me. It is the great gift of teaching, that you embark forever on lifelong learning, a journey of constant discovery, a million "I don't know the answer" moments when you hunt for information right along with your students. A chance to stay abreast of every technical advancement, every scientific discovery, and every new way to bring comfort to the bedsides of hurting people, who we will always have with us.

It's been an amazing semester. One I am sorry to say goodbye to (although winter break is luring me in!). I can't wait to dress up in my regalia for the graduation ceremony in May 2014 when these eight girls walk across the stage and join me as peers in our grand profession that is half art and half science, the perfect union of left-brain, right-brain...and watch them as they reach for the stars in the many years to come.

Thank you, section 314, for taking me along on your incredible journey this semester!




Photobucket

RomanceOnADime.com

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Gen, we were all so lucky to have you as our clinical instructor! You have been such a great help to me this semester and I have learned so much. I will miss having you as my clinical instructor, but I will see you around the nursing building:)Thank you so much for being an awesome instructor, in clinical and lecture(I can actually stay awake during your lectures).

Turquoise Gates said...

I don't know, Laura, I've seen you nod off a couple of times! I am bringing props to the GI lecture tomorrow to keep you awake ;-)

Marsha said...

Gen, you are such an amazing person. I am so happy you were my clinical instructor and I am going to miss seeing you at 5:45 am every Tuesday morning! (Okay, maybe I won't miss the whole 5:45 thing!) But we'll still get to see each other around the nursing building and I cannot wait to walk across the stage, shake your hand, and know that you helped me accomplish my dream of becoming a nurse :)

Unknown said...

My heart swells with joy at this expression of a calling found and fully embarked upon. Praise the LORD for opening up all the doors it took to get to those three letters after your name so you could teach, and for giving you the strength through all you suffered to persist. Praise, praise, praise!

Mary Reed said...

Well Professor, I'm so thankful that you're living out your giftedness. It takes a special person to convey the blending of science and deep heart-concern. As much as you were blessed by your students, I'm sure they were given treasures that they'll take with them as they embark on their new career journey.
Thanks so much for stopping by Mary @ Woman to Woman today. I look forward to getting to know you!
Blessings to you ~ Mary

Unknown said...

Gen, thank you for everything you taught us this semester! We were all so thankful to have you as a clinical instructor and everyone always told us how they jealous they were that we had you :)

Turquoise Gates said...

Girls, I am SO flattered by your compliments! I was not seeking them.. Hopefully they'll start giving.this was about complimenting YOU!!! I will miss you guys so much - maybe we can do a little party of some kind beginning of next semester (late Christmas on groundhog day, which is my remission date, maybe???)

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime said...

That's so wonderful!! Thanks for sharing your great experience with these girls. That's what I love about teaching - you learn so much! Thanks for linking up and sharing this at Romance on a dime!!

Post a Comment