Take it, every little piece of my heart; Break it, every little piece of my heart

I have a friend, a beloved one. She is hurting. So I hurt with her. I send unanswerable questions heavenward. I let tears fall unchecked. I promise to be there. It doesn't seem like enough.

Why is this world so full of pain?


Why is it always those at the back of the pack who get picked off by the wolves? Those who've suffered most, who've endured the unendurable, who've been in the Refiner's fire so long you would think they'd be melted down enough. But He wants every last bit of it, every last piece of our soul we're holding back, every dark corner we haven't let Him in to see and love and cleanse and care for. Cracks us open wide, forcing us into the pain so that we can do the healing.

I know these things, deeply. My own cancer was my tutor in the whys and wherefores of suffering. I come through transformed. I will never be the same. Yet, on a day like today, when my body literally aches from weeping, all I can think of is mercy. Just this once - could we skip the character lesson and be washed over by Your grace? Could You spare my dear friend this pain? Let this cup pass over?

If He would not let the cup pass from His own Son's lips, all for love of us, I dread that this is not to be. The cup is filled to the brim with tears, and, for love of our souls, He will beg us drink.


These verses drenched my soul in comfort in the darkest of pits, when I sat by Amelia's bedside begging for her life. I read them, repeat them, murmur them, pray them. I notice, again, let it soak in deep - that the results happen at the final revelation of Jesus Christ, "in the last time". Not here, not now, but when He comes again and wipes away our tears forever.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:3-9 ESV)
Sometimes you felt the trouble
Sometimes you felt down
Let this music relax your mind

Stand up and be counted, yeah
Can't get a witness
Sometimes you need somebody
If you have somebody to love
Sometimes you ain't got nobody
And you want somebody to love, all right


Then you don't want to walk and talk about Jesus

Just want to see His face
You don't want to walk and talk about Jesus
Just want to see His face
~I Just Want to See His Face, The Rolling Stones~







Lisa-Jo prompts us today with "Wide" 

No comments:

Post a Comment