Thoughts on a Blue Moon

It was a blue moon, but it looked decidedly yellow to me when I discovered it at 5:30 a.m. on Friday morning.


It is only "once in a blue moon" that I am up at 5:30 a.m. and happen to notice the sky. And that I am suitably motivated by anything to go hunt up my telephoto lens and stay up for another 45 minutes to capture an entire moonset just for the fun of it.


Ironically, I didn't even know it was a blue moon while I was taking the photos. I just knew it was an incredibly clear dawn and the moon was particularly beautiful.


I am reminded that I am often prone to dive into something rare and monumental. And that I am exceedingly bad at being faithful in the little things, the normal moon sort of moments of life.


I thought of this as I edited the photos of the moon that waned from red to yellow to orange to pink as it set across the sky that was at first midnight black and dawned to a dark cobalt and finally a hazy turquoise.



I don't have a soloist's voice, so I've thought over the past 10 months of joining our church's amazing choir. But it requires weekly practice, early mornings at the church, and listening to the sermon from the choir loft instead of sitting next to my family.


Instead, of a "blue moon" experience like the church choir, I've chosen to try to be faithful in an everyday moon sort of singing. Every night I am singing my children to sleep - everything from favorite modern worship songs like "You Never Let Go" to old hymn standards like "Rock of Ages" and even family favorites like "I Saw the Light", which was, hysterically, our processional at our wedding 10 years ago.





However beautiful the blue moon is, I don't aspire to a blue moon life. When the time comes for me to wane away from this world, I hope it can it be said that I was faithful in the little things, rather than that I accomplished grand ones.
“There have been times of late when I have had to hold on to one text with all my might: "It is required in stewards that a man may be found faithful." (Amy Carmichael)

No comments:

Post a Comment