Happy birthday is my victory song

The back of my purple Survivor t-shirt from the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life says, "Happy birthday is our victory song." Surviving cancer has forever altered how I feel about aging. I will never be one of those women who is 29 forever. Every milestone reached is celebrated, because it could have been missed if my cancer hadn't been caught early, or my surgery had gone poorly, or my cancer wasn't sensitive to the treatments I received.

Everyday miracle. A birthday. Breakfast in bed from my 4 sweet children, who parade in with bagels and coffee on a cutting board tray, and Clementine slices arranged to make the numbers "34".


My morning devotions tell me that the time of singing has come. I am practicing living in the moment, being mindful of the moment, not letting my mind drag me off into the unknown future. This allows me to experience the joy of these verses, because in THIS moment, they are True, "See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come."


Perhaps this is the way you fight depression best: one battle, one day, one moment at a time. Stake your sword in the ground and claim this moment for joy. I can do that, one moment at a time. The insurmountable future is what I cannot face, as the rest of my life disappears like a timeline in the fog. Here, in the moment I can see, it is clear and bright and beautiful. I am 34. I have made it to 5 years post-diagnosis. Today is a victory, and I'm singing my freedom song right along with those who sing Happy Birthday over me.

Thank you, Lord, for today - this moment. Yes, the season of singing has come.


Joining community on the prompt, "Ordinary"


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi friend. You posted before me on FMF and so i'm checking your blog out. However, when I clicked i realized, 'i've been here before' just yesterday on twitter, someone had recommended one of your blogs and I found myself reading through some of your entries. How wonderful that God connects us like that.
PRAISE GOD for 5 years post diagnosis. Praise God that your body is healing and you were able to catch it in time and your body responded to treaments. Praise God that you are able to enjoy this time of singing and reflection as you celebrate your life with dear little ones. Thank you for your encouragement about depression and taking life each moment, staking your place and fighting forward. tHis is something I definately have to take up in my own daily fight. May today be blessed for you. Praise God for you and your voice here on the net...you are loved dear one.
janel

Emily said...

"I am practicing living in the moment, being mindful of the moment, not letting my mind drag me off into the unknown future." A beautiful reminder to find joy everyday.

Unknown said...

Celebrating you in this sacred moment of time!!! God's promises abide here!

Unknown said...

P.S. Can just visulaize those clementines representing 34! DELICIOUS in ALLLLways!

Jo (@Piano_Jo) said...

Am glad for you that the heavenly ray shone through today and thank you for sharing this in the ordinary & in the divine

Unknown said...

The continuation of joy gives me joy!

Mrs. H. said...

Oh my. There wasn't a place to comment on your "life at Turquoise gates" page ... but oh my. Your honesty bleeds grace and the gospel and the beauty of redemption. {found you from E. Wierenga's link-up, but I also occasionally participate in FMF}. Will be reading more from you ...

Unknown said...

Hi Genevieve
Oh, dear One, you have touched such an important truth with your words; living fully in each moment, not allowing your mind to race to the next. I am sooooo glad that your treatment has been so successful and that your cancer has taught you the feebleness of worrying over nonsense. Over via Emily's.
Much love
Mia

kchripczuk said...

My Mom will be five-years-out in April, God-willing. She was "born again" via a stem cell transplant on the day my second child was born, so they will be turning five together.
"The season of singing has come . . ." May it be so, may it be so.

Tereasa said...

Oh my goodness, that is beautiful! Happy birthday and happy five years!

Post a Comment