Whispers


My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
...you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. 
But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie — just as it has taught you, abide in him. And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.
~ I John 20: 1-2, 20, 27-28 ~


I hear the whispers in the quiet communion between these two amidst the rustling of the leaves in the park on a dewy morning.  Cousin-twins, two giants, born 10 days apart and joyfully expected for 9 months together, leaping side by side in my belly and my sister's while we talked over coffee about their lives together, just up the road from each other.  This, too, is what I lost...what we lost...when Theodore grew in the wrong place and died in my body last October.  This is communion, fellowship, love like little children. Kisses, cuddles, wrestling each other down on the leaves in laughter; learning obedience side by side, making mistakes, and making up; forgiveness and blessing through forgiveness.

The events of life can be so confusing, so muddled, the chaos of the days so clanging it drowns out the little whispers of the Holy One who never speaks aloud.  When I don't force my day into rhythm and read His Word in the morning...when I don't take time for a prayer before I correct a child...when I hustle through dinner prep...when I cram work into every corner of the day...those days life becomes a cacophony of error as the little mistakes add up to big ones.  And when life is filled with pain, the noise is deafening.  The pain of this world like a Niagara Falls of tears overwhelming the little trickle of the Holy Spirit speaking truth from within.  How important, in these times, to first remember that we have an "unction" (annointing) from the Holy Spirit, that He is in us, we believers; and second, to bend our ears to hear, to still our lives to listen, to slow our days to study.

We do not need to be afraid of the Big Bad World...He who conquered death has promised us - has given us - an internal link to God Himself (John 16:13).  No mediator or priest required.  We can pray directly to God and through the Holy Spirit, who interprets even our wildest and most unintelligable prayers and carries them personally to the Throne of God (Luke 12:12; Romans 8:26; ).

I repeat it, when I am confused and sad and scared and worried and anxious...I have an unction; He says He'll guide me in all truth; He is groaning for me.  And if He's there, inside you...if you've accepted the free gift of salvation...you have an unction; He is guiding you in all truth; He is groaning for you.



............................................................
For a thorough exegesis of the I John 2 passage, click here (note: this is pretty deep stuff!).  For an excellent, short piece on the power of the Holy Spirit in the believer's life, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment