Detangling the lie

As soon as the snake saw his chance, he slithered silently up to Eve. "Does God really love you?" the serpent whispered. "If he does, why won't he let you eat the nice, juicy, delicious fruit? Poor you, perhaps God doesn't want you to be happy." The snake's words hissed into her ears and sunk down deep into her heart, like poison. Does God love me? Eve wondered. Suddenly, she didn't know anymore. "Just trust me," the serpent whispered. "You don't need God. One small taste, that's all, and you'll be happier than you could ever dream..." Eve picked the fruit and ate some. Adam ate some, too. And a terrible lie came into the world. It would never leave. It would live on in every human heart, whispering to every one of God's children: "God doesn't love me." (from The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name, by Sally Lloyd-Jones)
THIS is how God looks at us, every moment of every day
It's lies that create the clutter in our hearts, crowding out the Truth. When we're listening to the hissing, relationships crowd out, joy flees, the dark clouds descend to touch our earth. Does God love me? quickly turns to does my husband love me? Do my friends love me? Will my children love me when all is said and done? And suddenly there we are, stranded alone on a desert island of our own making, built with our fears and our tears and a steady inundation of doubt.

God unites. Fear isolates. When Evil sees me in a corner, keeping to myself, wrapped up in the clutter of thoughts, it strikes. Only when I open up that wounded heart and let the words of God and His children wash over the sore places, fill up the empty ones, scrub out the dirt - then I can walk in the light as He is in the light. There, in the light, relationships are still difficult; finding worth in myself is still an almost impossible task; dark clouds still threaten. He says, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him (Ps. 34:8).I'm opening my mouth to let the flavor of His love sparkle over my tastebuds, washing away the bitter of the poison apple of doubt. 

Yes, it's disappointing to fight depression again after so long a hiatus. It's disenchanting to understand that a beast you thought you slayed was only injured and is back to wage war with you again. Yet the very same Truth that rescued my spirit last time will be what rescues me this time. God is always good, He is always loving, He is always there, and He will someday put an end to suffering.

Yes, today might be difficult. But I'm not going to "just get by". I'm going to get up and keep trying. Keep looking for the whispers of His love that rebuild faith and bleed joy and heal hearts.

Where there is desire
There is gonna be a flame
Where there is a flame
Someone's bound to get burned
But just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try try try

Funny how the heart can be deceiving
More than just a couple times

Ever worried that it might be ruined
And does it make you wanna cry?
When you're out there doing what you're doing
Are you just getting by?
~Try, P!nk~


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes. Genevieve, God has so blessed you with insight! You write cleary words I stumbled around to express. Thank you, sending love and prayers as you "resist the devil and he will flee from you, draw near to God and he will draw near to you," James 4:7-8

Turquoise Gates said...

THANK YOU for that verse!! I am going to put it up on my chalkboard in my kitchen right now. It is exactly what I needed today!!

Unknown said...

Great post. It is so important to repeatedly fight that good fight!

Unknown said...

Found you in the comment section at Alia's today. Was intrigued by the title of this post.

How true it is that when we believe the lie that God doesn't love us all the others fall quickly in line for their turn at deception. Thanks for the reminder to look for His whispers of love.

Carol

Emmie said...

I love this post and the picture. Thanks for the reminder that the biggest temptation of all is doubting the heart of God for us.

Simply Beth said...

"Keep looking for the whispers of His love that rebuild faith and bleed joy and heal hearts."
Beautiful!
Thank you for this.

Post a Comment