Happiness and Joy are Different

I don't want to be here again. But life doesn't usually go the way you want it to. One of the main difficulties I have with depression is that I can't figure out if it's the Potter's chosen way of shaping me right now, or if it is because of my inability to stay focused on Him.

But here we are. There's no denying that. Slowly, old coping skills are coming back, and for the majority of the day, I can ignore the rain cloud hovering over my head. One of the most successful ways for me to dig out of depression, get up out of my bed, and live normally in these seasons is something called Opposite Action. All you have to do is figure out something to throw yourself into 100% that will provide positive reinforcement rather than negative. I'm a mother first, and I carry a huge load of mother guilt, so Opposite Action for me often entails doing something crazy with my kids.



I grabbed a pack of suncatchers and paint at Walmart on the way home from work. Just after breakfast yesterday, I stayed out of bed, and we opened paint pots and set to work. The table was a mess. The children were in heaven. And for an hour, I forgot to be depressed.






After we finished, we packed up, got lunch in town, and went to the Y. We spent four hours, swimming, rock climbing, zip lining, playing basketball, running on the track. Once again, depression and it's invasive thoughts had no room to take foothold as we ran around the Y. We emerged, hair steaming in the sub-zero gray day.

My day wasn't gray at all. I believe this is the difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is a passing emotion dependent on all kinds of external factors. But joy is stored within, and for those of us who have placed our faith in Christ, there is a constant wellspring of joy despite external factors. Ever since Amelia's illness in 2009, I Peter 1 has been the passage that has helped me hang on to joy even when happiness is entirely absent.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:3-7 ESV)
Opposite Action is, in essence, what Christians have been practicing since the beginning of time. Moses was a man with a temper problem, a murderer, and someone who took flight at the first sign of danger, but he stood up to Pharoah through all the plagues and led the Israelites toward Canaan although he often felt like giving up and told God so on the mountaintops. Noah had never seen rain, but he built an ark out of obedience. Sarah had no hope left of bearing a child and her sadness over this fact is evident in her response to God's promise when she is an old woman, yet she continued to be with her husband, and a child was born from whose genetic line Jesus would eventually be born. Even Jesus, who begged His father for mercy in Gethsemane, walked out into the garden to meet the soldiers when they came to arrest Him, and endured the cross even though He could have easily saved Himself.

Why did all these people go forward despite their misgivings, their pain, their fear? Because their joy was not predicated on their circumstances, but on the salvation they knew was coming. I see it too, on the horizon of every season of depression - rescue. Someday He will wipe away every tear. And meanwhile, I can REJOICE because, despite all appearances of this life, there is an inheritance imperishable, undefiled and unfading kept in heaven for me.

Five Minute Friday

7 comments:

Laura Wells said...

I poked around your blog for a while and have concluded that you are strong. God clearly thinks you can handle more than your fair share of struggles. I admire any mom who resists the urge to stay in bed on bad days and invest her kids. I admire you even more. I am so in awe of how you not only got out of bed but did things that make messes, require energy. And I love how you take a counseling term, and find it in scripture. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What an encouraging, instructive post! It brings to mind my favorite depression prescription verse:
Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty [your suncatcher project, despite the mess]for ashes, the oil of joy [the enthusiasm and fun at the Y]for mourning, the garment of praise [your thankful heart for escaping all those wonderful minutes from depression]for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
Love, Mama

Emily said...

I love this post & your definition of happiness vs joy. That's something I'll definitely be putting on my bulletin board as a daily reminder. So glad you linked up at FMF today :) Hoping your sun catchers paint your heart-walls with happy Light for days and days.

Unknown said...

yes, happiness and joy - two different things. keep going, mama friend. These Wisconsin winter days have been hard to carry for me too. Pulling for you, knowing your heart rests on a foundation of joy even when your pockets are empty of happiness.

Tanya M said...

I admire your strength, courage and wisdom. You've certainaly got every one of those things. And I definitely sense your inner joy in just thinking about our eternal promise. Beautiful post. Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gen, for pouring out your relationship with the Lord to all of us. It is hard for me to give myself permission to stop and enjoy what I truly want to do at the given time. Read a book, visit with my husband over coffee, sit and play with my son, or just let my baby sleep in my arms when my house is a mess, I haven't showered in few days, and I have no clue what we are all going to eat for supper. I have the voice in my head, "you have to be doing more, and you have to have all the other things perfect before you can even consider doing or enjoying the things you love". Sara Jean

Stephani Cochran said...

The first experience of depression can be so confusing and debilitating, but when it comes and goes again, and again, and we begin to recognize its approach, and we look back on how God brought us through and even used it, we can be still in the midst of it, as ugly as it is, and know that he is God and he is in control in the seemingly uncontrollable. The storm becomes a beautiful thing when we learn to ride it out with Jesus asleep in the bottom of the boat. We can glance at him, asleep there, and we smile, and know that he is God and the waves obey his voice, and then we have joy. - I ALWAYS enjoy my visits here!

Post a Comment