Worship

And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." Mark 10:13-15

This scene...my children walking down steps in awe of the sunlight streaming in a 100-year-old window on the top of a high hill...has had my thoughts swirling for days.

Raising hands when surrendering = vulnerability, lack of power
Raising hands when dancing = joy, abandon

Why is raising my hands during worship so difficult? Why is it not a sign of vulnerability or abandon in joy before God? Instead it feels false, gaudy, paltry. It is not something I am good at. I can worship Him by offering my talents - my piano fingers, or my harmony voice, or my writing ability - a million times easier than raising my hands to Him in worship, the ultimate sign of surrendering my dignity and appearance for His glory. I wonder if it will be difficult to bow once I see His face, or if, in His majestic presence, my hesitation will evaporate.

I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. (I Timothy 2:8)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being raised to act conservatively in church made it hard for me too. I started by raising my hands to elbow height and turning my palms upward. I graduated to raising my arms finally in abandon to my God, ignoring those around me and being lost in HIM rather than myself. What helped is the verse you quoted and one in Psalms that I cannot recall right now, but speaks of raising our hands in praise in heaven. I thought, if I will raise my hands in heaven why not now? The very act opens my heart.
Love,
Auntie shera

Megan said...

I was always taught to picture a little child raising their hands to be picked up by their daddy. I love thinking about that during worship!

Anonymous said...

What a sweetie. I, too, struggled with what others thought, and still do, but to heck with it. I struggle in every aspect of life, so I just am gonna raise my hands and praise God and struggle through whatever my darn flesh throws at me. Love, Mama

Anonymous said...

I like Megan's idea a LOT better! HOORAY! No more struggle, maybe, for me! IF I can REMEMBER the thought!!Thank you, Megan!
Love, MamaDebra

Post a Comment