Try, try again


The hand clearly points to the desired action.


He tries rolling it there.


That doesn't work.


The hand decides to demonstrate desired action.


He tries to drop it straight in this time.


Now he takes another go at rolling it in.


Ugh, still no luck!


Maybe I should just give up.
Maybe putting my shoe in the hole is good enough.


Oh, I've almost got it! How invigorating!
Maybe kicking it will work?


Nope, that didn't work either. Shucks!

We do this ourselves, so often, especially in our relationships and with God. I often know what is desired of me, but I lack skill, confidence, or motivation to just do it. I end up running in circles around what's being asked of me, trying every human skill I have to reach the goal. I forget that the author and finisher of my faith is my ultimate golf bag of tricks. He knows exactly how I'm going to get that ball in the hole, and He asks me to seek Him for the things I need to accomplish it: strength, confidence, and motivation. My mental health issues of the past six months have made me feel weak and helpless. But in that very place, He provides, comforts, and shines His holy light.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (I Corinthians 9:24-27)

...asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:9b-13)




No comments:

Post a Comment