Like a duck out of water

We all have some type of relationship that scares us. Maybe you had a bad boss, so you're afraid of meetings with bosses. Maybe you got burned by friends all through your childhood and you find it difficult to develop close friendships. Maybe you grew up in a home with an unhealthy marriage and you're afraid of commitment. For me, it's pastors. My experience has always been that they say one thing on Sunday and act a different way the rest of the week. In fact, much like the populous views lawyers, I was almost to the point of believing there was something inherent in their role that prevented them from acting like normal people.

When you have a preconceived idea of how the world works, and you have an experience that is polar opposite to these suppositions, you suddenly have a flash of cognitive dissonance. And so was the conversation I just had with one of my new pastors. For the first time in my life, I went to a pastor with an idea that I thought would offend them, and instead of correction, I received unconditional love and acceptance for exactly where I am at right now.

This type of experience is exactly what restores our hope in a broken, cursed universe, and draws us deeper into relationships instead of pushing us out of them. I have lived dry on hope for many years when it comes to churches. I remember a line from a Grace Potter song, I see a tiny light, like a flashbulb sparkle in the night. Maybe, just maybe, I've really found a home. Maybe, just maybe, there are pastors that are different. Maybe, just maybe, I won't be driven to regret and hopelessness by yet another church.
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! Psalm 133:1

No comments:

Post a Comment