The next stage, like it or not

My youngest turned 5 the other day. I still think of him as my baby, and I might always. After all, he is my baby, the youngest of my brood.
It's easier in many ways, this stage of our family. It's easier to find a sitter without a baby in the house, there's no one peeing on the floor, I don't have to arrange my life around breastfeeding breaks. Yet my arms ache. There is a sense of completeness missing when I look at our family. I wonder how much of it is the one baby, the one who would be my youngest, the one I never got to hold. Am I missing him when I see our family? Do other women who've miscarried feel this way?
I talk to Aaron about it, and he isn't with me in the missing. He is happy to be "done" with toddlers. I wonder how that impacts our dreams of adoption? I still stop by Reece's Rainbow often, looking at the photos, dreaming of bringing one of them home. Sadness strikes - dozens of countries won't allow us to adopt because of my history of depression. Anger creeps in - do they really think those babies are better lying in cribs, malnourished, unheld, eventually to "age out" of the orphanage and die in a mental institution just because they are physically or mentally disabled? Would I be that horrible of a mother to those children?
I try to make peace with my youngest being 5. I hold him, and he stretches well over half my body length. He is getting so big, and so not a baby any longer.
I pray for peace, too. All those orphans have a father - the Father of the fatherless (Psalm 68:5). Try to turn the lament to praise for what God has given, however incomplete it feels.


And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. (Ephesians 3:18-20)

My lonely heart is made for two
It beats too slowly without you

Tonight the sky is burning blue
Horizon cuts right into you
You'll be the moon I'll be the sea
And you can shine your light on me

I'm calling your name
But you won't listen
Tonight was made for two
But there's one heart missing
One heart missing

~One Heart Missing, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals~

How about you? Do you struggle to feel your family is complete? Do you long for another baby? Does your husband feel the same, or is he relieved to be progressing to "the next stage" of parenthood?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I can talk! Lol... just meant to say that I've been wanting desperately to comment for the last while to say that you're on my mind, and I'm praying for you. And your writing is just beautiful at the moment.
Ok, so the baby thing? We had 3 children under 4, and my husband was done. Done, done, DONE! I thought I was too, until my youngest got to about 18mths and I suddenly, desperately wanted another baby. I couldn't think about anything else, it was almost like being infatuated with someone. I talked to my husband about it - he was still DONE, and rather horrified that I wasn't. Lol! I tried really hard not to nag, prayed A LOT (like, all the time) and talked to people I trusted (who were compassionate but couldn't help one way or the other). When my husband and I did occasionally talk about it, it was really difficult because we had never, ever had a situation where we were on opposite ends of an opinion, with neither of us willing to compromise. I could see the sense of his reasons for not wanting another baby, they just didn't make any difference to how I felt.
After about 9mths of increasingly desperate prayer (By this point I was saying 'God, PLEASE change one of us! I don't care which one it is, but either take away my desire for another child, or give my husband a change of heart. Just do something!) I once again brought up the subject, and my husband said that he was ok with stopping using contraception and seeing what happened. We were pregnant within a couple of weeks and our 4th baby arrived 9mths later :)
HOWEVER! It has taken a couple of years for my husband to stop resenting our baby just for being here. He wasn't happy that I was pregnant, and all sorts of difficulties occurred in our circumstances during the pregnancy. It was a really, really hard time, and he blamed it all on the baby - it has taken a LOT of prayer, heartache and working through for him to get past it and enjoy this last child.
Thankfully, this time round, I am equally as sure as him that our family is complete!
Sorry for the long, long comment - this is a really hard situation to be in, and a difficult one to resolve with both sides feeling happy with the outcome.
Handsfull

Anonymous said...

In case you were wondering what my first sentence meant, I don't know if you have been closing comments or not, but I haven't been able to see the comments section for the last few weeks, and even after I'd posted my comment here, when I came back to re-read what I'd posted, the comments section had disappeared again! Don't know what's going on...
Handsfull

Post a Comment