My life is not my life

"I just want my life back!"
"It was never yours to begin with."
~ preview for "My Own Worst Enemy", this fall on NBC

I find it hilarious where you hear truth sometimes. This show is not on my top 10 must-watch list for this fall, but I really like this line, delivered with acrimony and not a hint of sarcasm in this preview that has been running during the Olympic broadcasts. Yet another example of "what has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 1:9) My life is not my own, from the dust humanity was created from, to the breath that now fills my lungs. I think that, if this truth would truly absorb through my thick skull, it would radically change how I live my daily life. I have always been the sort of person who takes more care when responsible for something that belongs to someone else. My own possessions get less attention...because appearances, justice and personal responsibility are very important to me. So if this life is not mine, if I truly believe that, I need to care for it. I need to be conscious of every decision, from the food I put in my body for fuel or joy, to the amount of sleep I get each night, to how I spend my energy during the day. Whose possessions do you care more about - your own or those placed in your care by others? "To the Lord your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it." (Deuteronomy 10:14)

"What is at stake in the sovereignty of God over sin is the ultimate aim of the universe, namely, the exaltation of the Son of God in the greatest act of wrath-removing, sin-forgiving, justice-vindicating grace that ever was or ever could be. The praise of the glory of God’s grace in the death of Christ for sinners is the ultimate end of all things.

Christ is the aim of all things. When Paul says, “All things were created . . . for him” (Colossians 1:16), he means that the entire universe and all the events in it serve to glorify Jesus Christ. May the meditations of our hearts take us ever deeper into this mystery. And may the words of our mouths and the actions of our hands serve to magnify the infinite worth of Jesus and his death. This is why we exist."
~ John Piper, Thoughts on Why Everything Exists

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That makes total sense, I never thought about it that way. Thanks Gen!

Pam

Tracy said...

We were thinking along the same lines this weekend it looks like - though you were able to use thousands less words than me.....I like how you can write so beautifully and concisely at the same time! I struggle so much with selfishness with my time and what I choose to do - may the Lord help us, sister!

Post a Comment