Pride over pits

If your heart and mind are open, you can learn the craziest little tidbits about God's character and our purpose in life just during daily life. This evening we made plum wine. We harvested the wild plums at our friend's ranch, and tonight we pitted them, smashed them, and put them in a fermenter with sugar and acid (Aaron did this technical step, of course). Aaron, Katy, Rosy, and I were joined in the work by Grandpa Jay, Grandma Debra, and Sara and Caleb Shipley, our newlywed friends visiting from San Diego. My mother made the statement, "I am starting to feel some pride over my pile of pits here!", which started up a lively round of jokes and jabs regarding the very apparent folly of having pride over pits! Pits of any kind are usually nothing to be proud of...

It is simply amazing that God took dirt, sunshine, and water, and made these beautiful, plump, pink fruits, with their spicy citrus odor, and golden, sweet flesh. That's what He's done for me - a little carbon, some oxygen, dirt, and sunshine, and He made a unique human for a specific purpose. I could 'leave my life on the vine', so to speak, until I ripen and fall to the ground, get stomped on and return to the soil. Or I can allow Him to "harvest" my days, making a sweet, unique drink out of my days, which are here only for a moment, yet can be for His eternal glory and honor. I would prefer to be a fine wine, not just another lost nutrient in the soil.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. ~ Romans 12: 1-2 KJV

My heart can't see
When I only look at me
My soul can't hear
When I only think of my own fears
They are gone in a moment
You're forever the same
Why did I look away from You
How can I speak Your name?

Lord, come with Your fire,
burn my desires; refine me
Lord, my will has deceived me
Please come and free me
Come rescue this child
For I long to be reconciled to You
~ Jennifer Knapp, Refine Me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post, Gen, is a perfect example of why I feel blessed to have you in my life and call you a friend. You are ALWAYS able to find an inspiring message in everyday events. Even when it's the pits.

Post a Comment