Perfect peace

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength. ~ Isaiah 26:3-4

I learn so much from my children. Our entire family has been fighting a bad cold for about a week now. I am hit so much harder than ever before since I lost the lymph nodes in my neck. It is a stunningly different experience for me to be sick these days! My first glimpse of aging. Caleb and Amelia are teetering on the edge of pneumonia, as usual, hampered in healing by genetically weak lungs. This morning, between wiping "boogs" and giving nebulizer treatments, I decided that both were ready for a morning nap within an hour of waking up! I attempted to put Amy in her crib, but she was too beside herself to sleep there. After correcting her for screaming, I felt such a surge of compassion for the poor little girl, and cuddled up with her and Caleb in our bed (finding the rest was much needed for me as well!). A beatific smile flashed over her face, and she was asleep in seconds, murmuring little toddler dreams out loud as she slept on my arm. Caleb was just as peaceful, nursed for a few minutes, and fell soundly asleep between us.

What a picture of how my Savior wishes me to be in His arms! Why do I struggle along, fighting peace like my children fight sleep? I need to better recognize those times when He is reaching out His arms to me, to enfold me and let me sleep in His embrace, safe, warm, content. He hasn't put me alone "in my crib", so to speak, to deal with this trial alone! He wants to cuddle me as I rest during this waiting period...He wants to keep me in perfect peace, "whose mind is stayed on Thee". Not nervous excitement, not staving off anxiety for the most part, not in denial, not stressed out but trying not to show it...PERFECT peace. I am going to have to think about that all day now, the image of my sleeping, peaceful children burned in my brain! What faith means - believing without seeing, trusting without receiving - is to believe that God's plan is better than mine, whatever the outcome! Whether He heals me, has me suffer, or takes me home, His plan is best. I am reminded again and again not to fear - for what have I to be afraid of? If God is for me, what, or who, can be against me? I may not receive the promise this time, but still I need not fear!

These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect. ~ Hebrews 11:39-40

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Encouraging thoughts, Genevieve. And a lovely image. It is so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His Word. Just to rest upon His promise. Just to know, 'Thus saith the Lord.'

Post a Comment