Whistle while you work

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
knowing that from the Lord you will receive
the inheritance as your reward.
You are serving the Lord Christ.
~ Colossians 3:23-24 ~

Years and years of taking the extra time to work with them on small tasks is beginning to pay off. Rosy is my designated floor scrubber, and loves doing it both ways - with the mop and on her hands and knees. She is amazingly good at it, and gets even the crusted on jelly spots and syrup stains.

I suffer this same phenomenon when I am embarking on my Father's work: but look, I can't even begin to wring it out! How to continue when the first step is so enormous and daunting? My face distorts into a grimace, and I falter and flail inside. And then remember those difficult words, uttered by the humble servant, Paul: We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. (I Corinthians 4:12-13a) Work hard; bless; endure; answer kindly. Christian life distilled to four bullet points. How they would revolutionize our daily lives if we but lived them out!


In the grimy depths of my dishwasher (who knew the inside of dishwashers had to be scrubbed? Are you kidding me?), my sweet - and oblivious - son put this sticker, which reads, "Super Job". I could have chosen to ignore that sticker - or worse, let anger be my reaction to a son who puts stickers in the unreachable depths of my dishwasher. Instead, I am going to take it as the pat on the back I needed today.

Is there a frustration in your life that can be turned into encouragement?

**If you are a photographer or artist, I challenge you to go back and look at the first two photos again. Trust me, that floor was extremely dirty. Isn't it interesting how light, even for the photographer in humble settings, cleanses the picture? But if we really are living and walking in the Light, as He Himself is in the Light, we have true, unbroken fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses - removes - us from all sin and guilt keeps us cleansed from sin in all its forms and manifestations. (I John 1:7 Amplified)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

This brings back such sweet memories of working with you children. My heart is full of regrets and mothering pain tonight. I had hoped living for the Lord as hard and full as I knew how might relieve me of that particular burden. The doggone free will of man just keeps getting in the way of such ... dreams.

Anonymous said...

I read about it some days ago in another blog and the main things that you mention here are very similar

Post a Comment