One misty, moisty morning


My mother used to sing us a little esoteric nursery rhyme on days like today:

One misty, moisty morning,
when cloudy was the weather;
I chanced to meet an old man, dressed all in leather;
He began to compliment,
and I began to grin,
"How do you do?
How do you do? How do you do?" again.

Today is that misty, moisty morning. The warm sun gave way to sheets of frozen rain drilling holes in the remaining snowbed, the sizzle heard from inside the warm kitchen nook. The cottonwood and the pine, my favorite trees, are married up in the hazy cold, arms entwined, stallwart survivors of a 100 winters past.

I think the whole family has been feeling a little misty, moisty and gray. The lingerings of our bad cold plague all of us, and the weather isn't helping much. While I feel bleary eyed and stiff this morning, my girls are blithe and limpid in the face of headaches and sore eyes. What a difference thirty years make!

No comments:

Post a Comment