Fear: reverential awe

1. Snow streaks by the porch light during our April 4th blizzard.

"You are resplendent with light...You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? Surely your wrath against men brings you praise, and the survivors of your wrath are restrained. Make vows to the Lord your God and fulfill them; He breaks the spirit of rulers; He is feared by the kings of earth." (Psalm 76)

I don't think much about "fearing" God. Obeying, honoring, following, loving, praising, worshiping, becoming like, drawing near, knowing, studying, understanding, choosing...all verbs that describe actions I see in my relationship with God. Fearing, trembling, bowing before...those are the verbs I still need to work on! I make vows to the Lord my God, but I do so out of reverence or love. I wonder if that is why I often fail in keeping my vows? If I were motivated out of fear - out of the sheer realization of the awesomeness and limitlessness of His power - would I be more determined to follow through?

I serve the God of hosts, the Creator of light and darkness, the One who flooded the earth, Whose voice is like the roar of rushing waters. I need to learn more about this fearing God business. I need to be bowed low by His might and glory. Yes, I have a relationship - a wonderful, vibrant, consuming and joyous friendship - with a personal God and Savior who moves in amazing ways in my life. But He is God, no less, and demands and deserves my awe.

2. Long afternoon light through the front room window on April 5th, when it was near 60 degrees.

Immortal, invisible,
God only wise,
In light inaccessible
hid from our eyes,
Most blessèd, most glorious,
the Ancient of Days,
Almighty, victorious,
Thy great Name we praise.

Unresting, unhasting,
and silent as light,
Nor wanting, nor wasting,
Thou rulest in might;
Thy justice, like mountains,
high soaring above
Thy clouds, which are fountains
of goodness and love.

~ Immortal, Invisible, Walter Chalmers Smith, 1876

No comments:

Post a Comment