View from a dark room


For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:
now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
(I Cor. 13:12)

Just a sliver of light makes everything so much more beautiful. This old white chair, sitting alone against a wall in our dark house, was lit by the shaft of light slipping through the bathroom door. What struck me is that an object half lit is sometimes so much more beautiful than one fully lit. So it is with knowledge: Eve wanted full knowledge, and she got it, painfully so. The object that looked so beautiful and alluring in dim light, half obscured, was frightening and ugly in reality. Waiting is difficult...living with cancer is stressful at times, to say the least. But I trust that the wise and loving God I serve is showing me as much as I can bear at this given moment. In full light, the truth that I will survive might release me in such a way that this metamorphosis, this daily sanctification I experience as I walk by faith and not by sight, might never occur. In full light, the truth that I won't survive might steal the joy of these precious moments of today, this year of believing that cancer is gone. So I crouch, in the half light, admiring the view. I am so glad that I am justified by faith, that I see through a glass darkly now, when once I was blind to this beauty entirely. (Romans 5)

I caught a glimpse of Your splendor
In the corner of my eye
The most beautiful thing I've ever seen
And it was like a flash of lightning
Reflected off the sky
And I know I'll never be the same
~ Show Me Your Glory, Third Day

1 comment:

Papa Jay said...

Amen, girlie. I agree, I don't think we could handle knowing the full truth. We'll need our glorified bodies to be able to do that!

Post a Comment