Unburying love's song

Down in the human heart,
Crushed by the tempter,
Feelings lie buried that grace can restore;
Touched by a loving heart, Wakened by kindness,
Chords that are broken will vibrate once more.
~ Rescue the Perishing, Fanny Crosby, 1869

There was a song in my heart I never once heard an echo of until I met him. I was trying to explain this phenomenon to a single girl: the incredulity, longing, hunger you feel when you begin to know the person God intended you for all along. All the failed dances between you and every other man you tried to love are swept away like seeds in the whistle of the hot summer wind that heralds the storm of true passion. Loving Aaron has never been labor yet. Not work the way other relationships were. True, it takes effort and pain and debate at times. But he draws from me that "chord that was broken" into miraculous, tender, overwhelming vibration once more.

Trust me, I have not earned your dear rebuke -
I love, as you would have me, God the most;
Would lose not Him, but you, must one be lost,
Nor with Lot's wife cast back a faithless look,
Unready to forego what I forsook;
This say I, having counted up the cost,
This, though I be the feeblest of God's host,
The sorriest sheep Christ shepherds with His crook,
Yet while I love my God the most, I deem
That I can never love you over-much;
I love Him more, so let me love you too;
Yea, as I apprehend it, love is such
I cannot love you if I love not Him,
I cannot love Him, if I love not you.
~ Christina Rossetti

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This to me is the definition of abundantly! That as I draw nearer to the lover of my heart and hand I am drawn ever closer to the lover of my soul. The more I sit at the feet of my Savior, the more I long to serve the man he has yoked me with. How difficult to describe that it is not a tug-of-war but love ABUNDANTLY given and received more with these two than I ever thought possible with one in my naivete of youthful relationships. How blessed are we that the Lord walked with us through those crooked paths we so stubbornly took in years past that he might carry us down the aisle to a perfectly undeserved match! Lisa P

Anonymous said...

And from the woman of too few words ... YUP!

Post a Comment