Why I collapse

From "Why We Collapse", by Elisabeth Elliot (the title obviously caught my eye):
One reason is lack of humility. In our anxiety to compete, to prove ourselves, to be a success as the world defines it, we are wearied and overburdened. If we sought instead only the greatness of the kingdom, we would become childlike. The truly important things are hidden from the clever and intelligent and are shown to those who are willing to come and be shown, to put on the yoke Christ bears, which is the will of the Father.

We need to learn to walk side by side with Him, bearing humbly and gently the yoke He places on us, not the unbearable burdens of competition and recognition and something called fulfillment. If we do this, any burden He allows--of loss or pain or insult or responsibility or heartbreak--will be both bearable and light, for the weight is shared with Him. No yoke laid on us in this way will cause us to burn out or collapse. This yoke itself will in fact be the very means of our finding rest. There is no form of recreation or relaxation or therapy to compare with the rest, the gentle ease, of Christ's yoke. "Come," He says to us, "and learn of Me."
______________________________________________________

I woke up today praying to faint (oddly enough!). During my test, that is. I am hoping they get the results they need to make a good, evidence-based decision so that I can start medication or get a pacemaker and stop all this fainting business for the time being.

Peaches blanched and bathing in ice water. Perfect for Father's Day pie!

On days when there is little going on, my soul...and words...overflow. On days like today, I feel stymied. Nothing flows easily. I will post later today or tomorrow if possible. I am anticipating they will keep me for the day today, then discharge me to home overnight, and I will go back tomorrow for either pacemaker or implanted loop recorder placement in the cath lab (yes, my husband's work...just imagine!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you my dear niece. Auntie Shera

Post a Comment