I go on vacation, they wait for rescue

We are in the last stages of preparation for our South Carolina journey. It has been an interesting few days...lots of packing, with a few extra doctor's appointments thrown in. My cardiologist decided to check my heart function with an EKG, chest x-ray and echocardiogram this week, just in case the chest pain has some easily identified cause. I have been fainting less, about once or twice a day, which is certainly more manageable than last week.

I watched this BBC video this evening and hardly know what to do with the awful ache to rescue as many of these children as I can. I spent some time in prayer, but it didn't help dispel my confusion. When I see something like this, I don't understand why God doesn't just take these children home. What is the point of all this suffering, Lord?
Bulgaria's Abandoned Children

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent. Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. Psalm 22:1-3

I stumbled upon this nourishing tidbit at another Christian blog:
So back to that funny question, “Why do we need orphans?” or is it a funny question? If death is a part of this life and always will be, we will always be faced with the care of orphans. We can act as though the orphans are not present, ignore them, leave them for someone else OR in the grace and Spirit of God we can embrace the work at hand and learn from them. They can teach us compassion and tenderness. They can teach the hardest heart how to love again. They can teach us that we are a part of a bigger world than just our own tiny life. They can bring us into the presence of the Father, allowing us to see God’s heart. They can allow us to be part of what God is doing in His Kingdom, rescuing orphans from a dark painful world. They can teach us to look past ourselves and can help us to listen to the pain of another. Often they do this without any words; silently they talk with their eyes and body. Will we be attentive enough to hear their unspoken cry, to cradle another human being in need, to wipe the tears off her cheeks, to teach one to crawl or walk or play, to teach him that there are kangaroos or raccoons in this great big world, to sew to holes in her dress, to clean his boo-boo when he falls, to speak truth into her life? Will we be compassionate enough to show him a picture of Jesus in ourselves worth seeking out? Will we show her the Jesus in ourselves she is reading about in the Bible?
~ Rhonda Chelle Ochoa blogs at ochoatribe.org

No comments:

Post a Comment