Just between the two of us


My anonymous comments have been increasing again of late, all of them with criticism to offer regarding my choices to continue my education and have a large family at the same time. Please read my remarks on this subject and other difficult subjects from 2009, and know that no anonymous comments left without contact information or a name at the end will be posted to my blog.


May I point out a great passage in Matthew 18, which deals with the brother who sins against you? It tells exactly how to approach another Christian if you feel their ways are in error, and leaves no room for unsigned anonymous comments. I read each of the comments submitted, and many cut to the core. My purpose in writing this blog is to be an example of the realities of Christian faith, the daily working out of my faith, the daily small steps in sanctification, the trials, missteps, and sins that make me a real person, wife, mother, sister, student - a real person in real need of God's saving grace - not the Sainted Cancer Survivor some imagine. Please choose your words wisely, with prayer and kindness and grace. I take them deeply to heart, and wish there were a way I could interact with you, Anonymous Reader, so that I could explain myself and perhaps tell you how deeply your words hurt.

If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. (Matthew 18:15-17)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gen,

My dear niece, I love your response to these issuses. We are sinners whose lives are pot-holed with sin, but are wonderfully saved by His grace. Repentence is continual and not "one-time" and we all must face this. Revealing your thoughts and struggles as a Christian have been a great encouragement and life lesson to me.
I love you,
Auntie Shera

Tracy said...

Gosh, Genevieve - I am so sorry you are receiving that kind of criticism. I guess that is what happens when we put ourselves out there and people who do not know and love us are commenting? I don't get how negative thoughts like that are building up the body of Christ! Be encouraged - many of us out there are praying for you. Tracy

Donna G. said...

Gen,
I have been reading your blog since Natasaha sent it to me. I have gained so much from your insight in your relationship with God. When I have felt alone in my faith (another human voice), I saw I was not the only one going thru "faith" struggles. You have been an inspiration to me to not give up and keep seeking Christ in all areas of my life. Don't let one misled person beat you down! Christ is about love and not hurting others. I was listening to KTIS on the way to work a couple weeks ago and a caller called in and told the announcer he did not like a certain person on the program because he did not sound like a "Christian". It happened to be the announcer he was talking to. The announcer let the caller know he was the person he was making the comment about. The announcer responded to the caller with such Christ live love and words, I could almost hear the callers heart melting. We can't change hearts, but Christ can. Pray for this person and place them in God's care that He may touch their heart. Thank you for your blog and heart to share your faith and all that live brings to it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gen,
I have no wish to remain "anonymous", but my best friend has a relative who is a good friend of yours. That's how I "met" you and your blog. To them, and apparently to many of your friends, you are one tick short of walking on water. So, I do not feel comfortable expressing one whit of criticism for fear it will get back to them.
That being said- I would dearly love to sit and talk with you sometime. I admire your outlook your faith. I am a Catholic, which also makes me a Christian. I am saying this so you will not see my words as tearing down the body of Christ.
I read your reasoning for having a "big" family, for going to school and for seeking adoption.
As many children as God blesses you with, yes- that is right.

Too long here- more later.
your anon friend

brad said...

i'm a fan Gen. if you are going to criticize or praise - doing it blindly is a cowardly way out. You let us into a world that many of us wonder about, but are too uncertain to ask about. You expose your wounds, and I thank you for it - Brad B.

Turquoise Gates said...

Anonymous, I hope you read this response meant directly for you. I value criticism and feel horrified that you don't feel free to voice your concerns using your name. I would love to get to know you on a personal level and hear your thoughts. Please e-mail me at gmthul@yahoo.com and rest assured I won't discuss anything you say personally to me with anyone else. Admiring anyone - even those within our church, our pastors, or even denomination leaders or the church itself - to the point that we don't feel free to offer criticism or concerns does nothing for the spiritual growth of those we admire. I have few illusions about my own level of faith. In fact, the post you initially responded to was one where I was endeavoring to be transparent about my LACK of faith, one of my life-long struggles and stumbling areas, so that those who read find their illusions about my faith just that: illusions. The only thing great or holy about me is Christ's blood.

Post a Comment