Reconciling a complicated God

I was in too much pain to sleep, so I read Jeremiah.

Behold, I will lay before this people stumbling blocks, blocks against which they shall stumble; fathers and sons together, neighbor and friend shall perish. Rejected silver they are called, for the Lord has rejected them...the Lord has rejected and forsaken the generation of His wrath. (6:21, 30; 7:29)

In times of sorrow, suffering, anger, questioning, how do I reconcile verses like these with verses on which I lean on for strength:
  • Behold, I will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5b);
  • Blessed is he whose sins are forgiven, who trespasses are not counted against him (Psalm 32:12);
  • though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me (Psalm 23:4);
  • the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)
  • For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)
How is that the same God we worship for His mercy, love, grace, self-sacrifice, joy, kindness, beauty also be the God who rejects, destroys, causes us to stumble, is angry, just, and perfect?

Am I so arrogant as to think that my sin is forgotten because of any merit of my own? Rather, it is because the Father's gaze is fixed on Christ's sacrifice rather than my piddly, proud, pinching, puny and palinological sin!

Confusing, so confusing. Comments would be much appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Comments are difficult. The primary clinging needs to be what God has revealed, and NOT JUST ABOUT HIMSELF. Although God is everywhere, omnipotent, and all the things he is, he is not ALL there is! Relationship requires choice - we see that again and again between our hearts. And choice requires freedom. And freedom resulted in our cursed state, which you are experiencing today. As Pastor Radtke's radio show was aptly named: Divine Perspective.

Another reason comments are difficult is that I do not want to belittle your physical pain nor your spiritual struggle. Please know we will be praying for your full recovery all day long and will lend feet to our prayers through service. Love, Mama

Post a Comment