Silence

For what words carry any weight into eternity except the ones quietly lived? The ones spoken with hands and the silent scars of sacrifice.  There is a time to be silent and a time to speak and we must pray to know the order of things; I can lose track of seasons.  I beg forgiveness for the many words with the many sins... And pray for knees that will bow lower and a face that will touch the ground in hiddenness --- for a heart that will forget itself and all its stream of words --- so it can simply drink of His. ~Ann Voskamp at Holy Experience

The worn edge of Grandma's tablecloth flits in the breeze among the pines on our last day camping last weekend.  The week that followed is like this sunshine strained through cloth, a glimpse of glory clouded by the weight of a world full of sin and sinners.  There are some things in life best left unsaid, and this week is one of them.  This much I know - and will share: Satan loves to attack us.  His most fervent, frequent, and fierce attacks come when we are already at our weakest.  The attacks that hurt the worst come from those we love the most.  A verse - put to song by my mama - keeps flowing through my heart this week: let the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer (Psalm 19:14).  That is the cry of my heart this week.  And so I, silently, prayerfully fix my eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal (II Corinthians 4:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment