A song of safety



Today was another day in a string of days carrying professional disappointment.  As I sat in my quiet house while the littlest two slept...the elder two spending a week with Grandma up north...I resized some photos from a fun-filled weekend and sat reflecting.  Because I am blessed with a wonderful father here on earth, the use of "Father" as allegory in Scripture is so comforting to me.  In this disappointment, in all disappointments, I can rest content that my Father knows best.  These photos of Rosy and Caleb interacting with their grandfather shows that trust...the trust I am supposed to emulate now, as an adult. (Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14)


Suspended ten feet off the ground by ropes Grandpa himself strung in the tree, they fly on the tire swing completely unaware of danger or risk or fear.  It isn't on their radar.  Why?  Because Grandpa so obviously shows them that it is safe to be flying through the air on his DIY swing.


After all, it is his trustworthy hands that built the swing...this world in which they whirl.  And his capable hands lift them up and let them go on this pendulum of rubber and rope.  Why would fear enter into this safe world where Grandpa watches their every move and sends them on each giddy flight?


Sunlight glints like glitter through the cedars at dusk, and lights smiles as laughter floats through the yellow air.  As I look back through the camera lens and the space of a few days time, my own life events are the pendulum set in motion by the Father-figure, my career is being let fly from the capable hands, and instead of giddy flight, I feel trepidation and anxiety??  That isn't the right response.  So this evening, I retune my heartstrings to sing a song of safety in the swing of my Savior.


Nothing about the tens of thousands of dollars of debt changes the fact that I can trust Him totally.  So I walk away from the screen tonight, to housecleaning and cooking and an alphabet lesson for Amelia, and leave career, at this juncture, scurrying down whatever path He has chosen.  I stand at a crossroads and feel the tug, dizzying, of choice impending...yet I do not need to fear this as a precipice.  It is just another swing on the pendulum of life, just like the millions of flights He's directed before, and the millions more He may send me on before calling me home. Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God (I John 3:1a).

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

He Giveth More Grace, Annie Flint, 1866-1932

No comments:

Post a Comment