More or less

I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:1-3

God does amazing things - even in the "prospective". I have trusted in Him, and I praise Him, yet He leaves things undone. I am not healed, I am not cancer-free. Even the "best doctors" say my cancer is still active - there is something still growing in my chest, my throat. Threatening to choke me out. My friends are not sorrow-free. Regardless of my own health (or lack thereof), I know those who suffer regardless of God's proclamations of worthiness and healing. Yet His hand is in my life - visibly, inexorably, undeniably. I suffer, yet I am at peace. There is pain, yet hope. There is beauty and ugliness. There is sickness and health. Coexistence. I am more - and less - than the sum of my parts. More in that my life is not the only thing that matters - more in that eternity matters more than this 100 or so years. Less in that God rules all - God dictates what matters, what the outcomes are, how life confuses and frustrates the purposes of man.

I am no less than the apple, and no more.

God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 28-31

You are tremendously more valuable than an apple, for you have a soul that can say yes to Jesus. Yes, we are all but dust but while we have life we are to point others to a personal, saving faith in Jesus Christ. You are loved!

The "pumpkin bread maker"

Post a Comment