More or less

I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:1-3

God does amazing things - even in the "prospective". I have trusted in Him, and I praise Him, yet He leaves things undone. I am not healed, I am not cancer-free. Even the "best doctors" say my cancer is still active - there is something still growing in my chest, my throat. Threatening to choke me out. My friends are not sorrow-free. Regardless of my own health (or lack thereof), I know those who suffer regardless of God's proclamations of worthiness and healing. Yet His hand is in my life - visibly, inexorably, undeniably. I suffer, yet I am at peace. There is pain, yet hope. There is beauty and ugliness. There is sickness and health. Coexistence. I am more - and less - than the sum of my parts. More in that my life is not the only thing that matters - more in that eternity matters more than this 100 or so years. Less in that God rules all - God dictates what matters, what the outcomes are, how life confuses and frustrates the purposes of man.

I am no less than the apple, and no more.

God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."