Closing in


The walls feel compressive today.  Yesterday, I brought video footage of Amelia's seizures (all kinds - the partials and the full-blown twitching, the recovery, and the onset) to her wonderful doctor at Mayo.  He has diagnosed her with four kinds based on the videos: simple partial, complex partial, secondarily generalized and absence seizures.  He skipped all the intermediate drug options and went straight to Depakote, an old, strong anti-seizure medication that is highly effective.  I am on my way out the door now to pick it up and give her a loading dose.  He hopes to see results within 24 hours to the tune of fewer seizures.  She is at the brink of status epilepticus - the only ray of hope currently being that the seizures have been short, though many.

I failed my comprehensive exam for my doctoral program yesterday.  I am doing okay with the news.  I get one more attempt.  I deserved to fail.  I hope to get enough feedback to pass when I try again within the next two months.

I am feeling awed, bruised and silent before Jehovah ("I will be who I will be"); Abir ("mighty One"); Shaphat ("Judge"); Kanna ("Jealous"); Eben ("Stone"); Hupsistos ("Highest"); Pantokrator ("Almighty") God. (from The Names of God) In the last year, I have seen less of love and mercy and more of stone-like, uncompromising, jealous persistence to use me and my circumstances for my own development and that of those around me.  It is easy to feel crushed between the well-beaten ground of the world's ways and the Stone that is the God who created me.

2 comments:

Justin and Julie said...

Depakote was the medication my brother was/is on for seizures. It was very effective-though they seemed to have to play around with the dosages for a while if I remember right. I hope that works well for Amy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that encouraging comment, Justin and Julie, whichever of you it was. It is so good to simply hear of someone's experience that we know.

My faith was first crushed and then refreshed today. Reminded me of bruising basil - the leaf wilts, but that wonderful fragrance is released.

Amelia Irene. Amelia Irene. Amelia, Amelia, Irene. A little song I love to sing to her. Precious girl. Amy's GrammaDebra

Post a Comment