Easy Valentine's Day Breakfast {tutorial}

I saw a recipe for easy red velvet pancakes over at This Blessed Nest, and knew immediately what I was serving up for breakfast on Valentine's morning! I had to tweak the recipe a bit after our first trial run, so this tutorial reflects my own adjustments to make firmer, thicker pancakes than the original recipe yielded.

Easy Red Velvet Pancakes
1 1/2 cups red velvet cake mix
1 egg
3/4 cup milk


Whisk ingredients together.


Preheat your skillet over medium heat.
Your butter should sizzle when it hits the pan, but not brown.
I tried a heart-shaped pancake mold for starters. (available at Amazon)



Once these hit the griddle, you're going to attract some onlookers!


For comparison, I cooked a regular round pancake at the same time.


Trim the excess off the round pancake using a butter knife.
(We used heart shapes for Valentine's, obviously)


Here are the finished cakes. I much preferred the round pancake I trimmed.
The pancake made in the mold was blackened and not precisely shaped.


Top with whipped cream.


Serve warm with smiles and hugs!



Someone is sure to snatch up the trimmings.