Scattering seed

I look down at my rainboots, covered with yellow seeds. About every 6 years, we re-seed the field that lies between the front lawn and the sentinel sumac in a line along the road. A parable runs through my head as I keep scattering seed.

...when a great multitude were coming together, and those from the various cities were journeying to Him, He spoke by way of a parable: 'The sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell beside the road; and it was trampled under foot, and the birds of the air ate it up. And other seed fell on rocky soil, and as soon as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture. And other seed fell among the thorns; and the thorns grew up with it, and choked it out. And other seed fell into the good soil, and grew up up, and produced a crop a hundred times as great.' As He said these things, He would call out, 'He who has ears to hear, let him hear.' (Luke 8)
The field looks perfectly normal from the porch, different native and hybrid grasses covering the area evenly.


As I sit in my swing many times each day - my quiet, safe place to reconnect with God and throw out the threats and despair that lurks, always ready to steal my thoughts - I have noticed the bird activity. It is very distinct. The birds will only land on certain things.


And those certain things are the free growing wild plants and grasses. Never, out of the thousand or so birds I've watched, has one landed on the humanly produced grass.


They land on the wheat grass.


They land on weeds.


Around the thorny bushes, there is always a patch, dead, nothing growing.
The thorny bush has taken it's territory and killed anything that might threaten it.


Man-hybridized grass is beautiful, shiny and thick.
But nary a bird lands in it.


The children make nests in the man-made grass, and a thorny plant takes up residence in the fall. Covered in burrs, she assures that no other plant or person will come near her.


Bumble bees and butterflies flock to the few colorful wildflowers left after our last planting.

I think of myself as a Christian. Did I spring up and do I flower and spread because of authentic connection with God? Or am I the man-made stuff, beautiful to look at, but worthless when it comes down to it. It is easy to put on a showy Christian front on Sundays, but there is that whole week intervening. I want to be the man throwing seed on good, fertile soil. And I want to be planting the kind of seed that will be a sweet fragrance to the Lord.
And those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they may not believe and be saved. And those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away. And the seed fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity. And the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance. Now no one after lighting a lamp covers it over with a container, or puts it under a bed; but he puts it on a lampstand, in order that those who come in may see the light. For nothing is hidden that shall not become evident, nor anything secret that shall not be known and come to light. (Luke 8)
I have four very important seeds. I'm off to water them.


Please take time to watch the beautiful video to this song on Vevo.

She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

No comments:

Post a Comment