From the bounty

Sweet onions and fresh garlic sautéed in olive oil. Cooked pasta tossed in to warm. At the last minute, sea salt, blue cheese crumbles, a few tablespoons of Greek yogurt, and garden fresh tomatoes sprinkled over all that succulence. The natural way to a healthier digestive tract: penicillin grown in a monastery in England; antiviral activity in fresh garlic and olive oil; antifungal dose in the culture of the Greek yogurt; and antioxidants to support and sustain a weak immune system, transformed from dirt and sunlight into the beautiful rose of a September tomato in Wisconsin.

All this au naturale talk reminds me of several requests for my homemade Scrubbing Bubbles recipe. After admiring the hygienic household of a dear friend, I became interested in the variety of ways one can clean with simple white vinegar and baking soda. I was convinced it was possible, because my friend - who has faithfully used this formula for years - has one of the most spotless homes I've had the pleasure to visit. I finally made the switch myself about a month ago - no more cleaning products to buy! It is surprisingly economical, but, perhaps even more surprising!, it is one of the most effective cleansers I've ever used. So, without further ado, here it is.

Scrubbing Bubbles
1/4 baking soda (available in large bags at Sam's & other bulk stores)
1 c white vinegar

To clean your toilet, add first baking soda and then vinegar to water. Use your brush as usual, once foaming has subsided. To clean vanities, tubs, tile, and showers, as well as marble and granite, mix together in a bucket or large bowl. Use 1/2 c instead of 1/4 c baking soda, or enough to make a paste. Once foaming has subsided, stir together to make paste and scrub as usual. For particularly heavy staining or soiling, 2 Tb of pure orange oil may be used, although this may cause discoloration on some surfaces.

This solution was the first and only cleaner I've found that will take hard water stains off of white tile grout. It does not, however, remove black mold stains from old caulk in tubs or showers. I am going to try adding some tea tree oil to it next time I scrub - I'll let you know the results on my moldy caulking!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hi Genevieve!

Hope Amy is better - I just had to tell you that I decided to use your "scrubbing bubbles" - and I am right now enjoying my "scrubbed house". I needed to get out a little aggression so scrubbed. I added a little peppermint oil to my paste and now my house smells like mint! Thanks for sharing! It was therapeutic in lots of ways!

Tracy

Post a Comment