When He sustained me

In the midst of another season of hurts, I am reminded continually that there are many hurts greater than those I bear today. I thank God for offering perspective on my life (vibrant, full, joyful, entertaining, beautiful) and my suffering (bruising, buffeting, confusing, exhausting).


Aaron and I continued a pregnancy nearly 3 1/2 years ago after receiving a poor prenatal prognosis after ultrasound. Our unborn daughter was diagnosed with spina bifida, myelomeningocele, and Arnold-Chiari malformation at an 18 week ultrasound. My alpha fetoprotein levels were also abnormally high. We were urged to go through with an abortion that very day, as we were just 1 1/2 weeks from the cutoff date for an "easy" abortion. We adamantly refused. At 24 weeks, our daughter was found to be perfectly healthy via a level 2 ultrasound at Mayo Clinic. This couple walked a different, harder, road. But made the same courageous choice. And oh, what we both would have missed if we had chosen otherwise! They would have missed 5 days of glory with their beautiful son, I would have missed 3 years with the precocious, flamboyant, sticks-like-glue love of Amelia Irene.

3 comments:

Dusty Chris said...

That video was so difficult yet beautiful to watch. My oldest son, who is now seventeen, was born with R21 Q(-) chromosome disorder. He wasn't expected to live through the first night, then week, then month, then year and now is seventeen. He is the biggest blessing God has poured out to me, even though he is oxygen dependent and has a ton of problems..he is MY SON.

I admire people who choose the road less taken, who are willing to give life a chance and reap the benefits of it. I don't judge those who choose otherwise...I just know the blessing of having a special needs, medically dependent child is the most wonderful and beautiful thing I can think of. The road is hard but you can see for eternity from here...

Anonymous said...

This was very touching. I really liked the simplicity of 'we didn't terminate because he's our son." Mama

Unknown said...

A severe mercy. I watched and cried with all my heart, of course.

Post a Comment