The role of wine for the Christian

I unwittingly opened a Pandora's box in the Christian world with my last post, which included photos of chokeberries drying on our countertop, and a description of my husband's lovely Farmhouse Wines fermenting in our basement currently. I published a representative comment on yesterday's blog. I received six other similar comments, and so would like to take the time to post my position on wine. I believe wholeheartedly that Christians are free to consume alcoholic beverages in moderation. There are also plenty of examples in Scripture where wine in excess is damaging (for a summary of both the positive and negative references to alcohol in Scripture, read an excellent bulleted list here). Because I think we are more familiar with the arguments against the drinking of alcohol for Christians, I will summarize my reasons for supporting the consumption of alcohol (if desired) among Christians here:


I Timothy 5:23,
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

In terms of moderation, God is also clear in His instruction: Phillipians 4:5, Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

How about the beauty and sensuality of this passage? Song of Solomon 8:2 I would lead thee, and bring thee into my mother's house, who would instruct me: I would cause thee to drink of spiced wine of the juice of my pomegranate.

Wine is also equated with blessing in the Old Testament: Deuteronomy 33:28, Israel then shall dwell in safety alone: the fountain of Jacob shall be upon a land of corn and wine; also his heavens shall drop down dew.

It was used as both a drink offering to the one true God (Ex. 29:40 & Numbers 15:4-10) and to idols (Deut. 32:37-38). It was given in abundance (not just sips!) to the Jews when they were obedient (Hosea 2:22, Joel 2:19) and they were deprived of it as punishment (Isaiah 24:7).

It is supposed to make our hearts glad, as in Psalms 104:15, And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

It was given to those who were suffering or in pain (Proverbs 31:6).

Most notably, Christ turned water into wine as His first miracle, probably at a rather indulgent wedding feast! (John 2)

Finally, my thoughts about the moderate consumption of wine blend with my overall view of how Christians today are to live their lives. The hallmark verse on this subject differentiates life under grace with life under the law: Galatians 5:1, Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

3 comments:

Brenda @ Tie That Binds Us said...

Moderation is a good lesson in and of itself. I think its a great example to show children how to handle moderation. Many unbalanced Americans have a problem in this area of moderation with pretty much everything. Your scriptures are right on and everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what's best for their family. Maybe some people need to keep it out all together. I do not believe we all have to.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this thoughtful post. I am currently abstaining from wine for 40 days and find that #1 it is easy, but #2 I am made aware of the blessing of it as I go without. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Anonymous said...

I have been down this road too often in the past. It is one of the age-old arguments in modern-day church, right under calvinists vs. armeniests.
My suggestion to you is not to defend it. Abide in Christ and you can't help but obey His will for your life. The Bible says to be ready at all times to give an account for the hope that is in you. It doesn't say to defend yourself when others thrust their personal convictions upon you.
Almost all of our friends are totally against drinking any type of alcohol. We have wine obviously displayed in our wine closet, but never drink around these friends. I must add that we never hide it either (what message would that send to our children). If someone is offended by this, it is their own weakness. Be the peacemaker, apologize that you offended them, but give no apology for the wine (as long as you truly are in obedience to Christ), and then move on. Defending yourself will only cause them to want to quote other verses right back at you and before you know it you're in the middle of another thirty-years war.

PS...enjoy the wine!

Post a Comment