Back and forth

Illness is the night-side of life, a more onerous citizenship. Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship, in the kingdom of the well and in the kingdom of the sick. Although we all prefer to use only the good passport, sooner or later each of us is obliged, at least for a spell, to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place. ~Susan Sontag



My aunt was only sick a few weeks.
Her sons couldn't bear the sharpness of spaded dirt falling on her in the grave.
They dug with their hands instead,
leaning deep in the hole to drop gently on the beloved.


It's a different world, a different part of me whispered in the flat hushed land of the reservation. I think these men do intuitive better than most. Rules matter less here.




I remember them both...lovers in old age, uncle with the chaotic overgrown eyebrows and curly hair and twinkly eyes that I thought maybe my grandfather had also, though I never met him. Aunt with the quick laugh and the tiny, tight body and the curling linoleum kitchen.



At her funeral, my pacemaker went crazy and I fought for peace of mind on the long drive back to a hospital after the luncheon. Then let pill after pill of nitroglycerin burn the space under my tongue on the ambulance ride to a bigger hospital, as my heart flip-flopped in and out of a dangerous rhythm that had the paramedic silent and sweating.

Long ago, before children, I came to terms with this kind of thing.
But the terms have changed.

Four children and a husband later, the pacemaker is still not working right, and I bit my lip and stalled back tears of pain as my chest ached yesterday. The doctor tells me I have to come to the hospital every time that pain comes. But I can't live at the hospital. So I hide pain and try hard, and fail often. Last night, to the hospital I went at 1 a.m. with my mother and aunt as "someone nice for company". Slept peaceful with the pain gone once they gave me the nitroglycerin they refuse to send home with me (wouldn't it be easier without the I.V. and the million questions and the night on the uncomfortable cot?). Tomorrow I go back to the cardiologist with Aaron's presence to try again to sort out this mess. 

I need protection. (my heart flutters dangerous sometimes)
I need strength. (I have never been so tired)
I need peace. (so I can give peace to these precious children)

Pray for me?

5 comments:

Alleluiabelle said...

Oh dear friend,

I have been following you for a while now...reading...not leaving any comment. I just wanted you to know that my heart and prayers have secretly been with you and your family and I will continue to lift you up fervently to His Throne Room of Grace and tender mercies.

You amaze me...your courage, wisdom, strength and so very much more...your ability to speak so openly about so many things...that truly is God amidst such a long trial of suffering and endurance.

You have been traveling on a long road...my prayers are rising up now as I stop and rest here for a moment in deep intercession for you...

May God's divine miraculous touch heal you in the precious name of Jesus Christ. May He wrap you, your little ones, your entire family up in His white robe ever so securely...ever so peacefully...ever so warmly as the healing blood of Jesus is poured down upon you and pulsating all throughout your body...healing every malady that needs healing and at the same time covering your sweet daughter as well healing healing healing you both with His precious blood.

We thank you Lord for the healing taking place within this precious woman that you created by your divine hand and for her little girl as well. You know them inside and out Lord...every detail...You know. We love you, praise you, honor you, worship you, glorify you and adore you and we wait in prayer with great anticipation for the best that is yet to come in Jesus precious name I pray. Amen.

May His peace, comfort, grace and tranquility fill you this night and the many to follow as He continues to carry you, your little ones and your family. Rest in His arms and know that He has everything under control...absolutely everything.

Much love & prayers,
Alleluiabelle

{darlene} said...

Oh Genevieve.
How I ache for your every pain.

Praying.
Praying.
Praying.


{I would love to put a button on my blog, letting others know that I am praying for you, so that they can link over to you and pray for you too....}

{darlene} said...

found your button. was it there all the while???? never mind me.

Anonymous said...

You are always 'someone nice for company' to me! I'm thankful to have had that time together and look forward to any moments we might share over the next few days. And months. And years.

And then - FOREVER! HALLELUJAH! HIP HIP HOPPITY HOO RA RAY!

Kelly Irene said...

Genevieve,
I was thinking of you today and just got caught up with what's going on. I'm so sorry and am praying peace, strength, and comfort for you even today as you continue to wait.

Post a Comment