The last best day

Have you ever experienced the sharp intake of breath as you revel in a moment of pure joy and beauty...and fall like a roller-coaster car over the precipice of anxiety as you wonder if this will last? Anything can be a last, after all. Children grow and change. Bad things happen. People grow apart. Distance separates.

It comes to me like a thief in the night, unexpected. I wonder if it's always lurking there, this silent thief of joy, the heaviness of temporariness that robs me of moments I intended to savor. The last night with Amelia in the hospital. She was awake until 1 a.m. The previous late nights in the hospital were excruciating, because I didn't know how many more late nights stretched before me. But the last night...it was different. It was pure sweetness. Amelia's husky little belly laugh, her antics in bed at midnight, even her "tapping" (i.e. swatting with quite a bit of force!) her itchy spots on her head. I can go one more sleepless night. I can last one more bleary-eyed, sensory overload, nerves like frayed copper wire day. It was worth it to cuddle, stroke her face, listen to her talk, watch a girlie movie together.

Amelia at midnight on 11/15/10. Seriously. She was THAT awake!
But as her big kalamata olive eyes focused intently on mine, as she rubbed the web between my pointer and thumb like she always does when she's falling asleep, and her lips parted in a half smile as the breath slowed and the eyelids drooped heavy, that thief snuck up on me. What if Amelia is going to get sicker again? What if she doesn't recover, what if she has something she won't outgrow, something medicine won't treat? What if this is the last best time? 


A million questions follow the first ones. Did I do a good job as a mother to this child? Have I dropped the ball along the line? What regrets will I have? Have I saved up enough memories to get me through grief? Would I be any good at grief? What if that's what God prepared us for? We've wondered it together, Aaron and I. It took us years to put voice to the whispers inside, as if by acknowledging them they might become real, like the monsters in your room after dark when you were a child. Just close your eyes, maybe they'll go away. Just don't look. Don't look. Don't look. He told me, before we got married, that he was pretty sure his life was going to be tough. I said, Likewise. Mine already was tough. But we didn't go into specifics. Just enough to know that we were united in it, that we weren't dragging the other person down a road of torture they didn't want to go down. When I got cancer, the monsters in the room came to life. In one sense, we rejoiced: the good kind of cancer? Something with good 5 year odds?? That's it?? That's what we've been prepared for. Not as bad as we expected, then. Maybe nobody is going to actually die. Okay. We can deal with this. That's not so bad, God. Thanks for the handout!

Then my cancer didn't go away. Boom. We fell another level, like in Mario Brothers when the little guy goes thudding with a little electronic down spiral in the music as his figure blinks a few times and grows smaller. Then Amelia got sick. Then I had a tubal pregnancy and we lost a baby under horrific circumstances.  My husband and son nearly died from a "routine" stomach bug, in the midst of an intense week of personal and family tragedies. I underwent surgery after surgery, from complications from the tubal pregnancy to insertion of my pacemaker.

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

Level, level, level, always wondering if we're at the bottom yet or not.

How do you live like that? People ask us all the time. Sometimes we just look at the floor, laugh nervously, because we're not really sure. Sometimes He puts an answer on our lips (I Peter 3:15).

The only way, really, is to call a spade a spade. Understand that joy-thief that sneaks up on you and whispers that you should be afraid is a thief. A messenger of the evil one. Cast him out, with the power of the blood. The power of the blood is, "What's the worst that can happen to us?" Whoever loses his life shall find it, and whoever hangs on to his life shall lose it (Matthew 16:25).

If this is the last best time, then praise be to God my Father for the BEST time.








Linked up to Faith Barista for Thursday's Faith Barista JAM.

11 comments:

Bonnie Gray said...

"The only way is to call a spade a spade."

Yours is a heart that God can rescue. There's no other way to draw near except with the faith that everything about us - our fears and hopes - is somehow carried in His heart.

Thank you for adding this personal and NOW post into the Faith Barista Jam -- lifted from the pages of your life, Genevieve.

I whispered a prayer for strength and grace to cover you, Amelia and who is yours this day.

Glynn said...

I dont know how you survived what you have. But I do know that it's God's pure grace shining through this story -- these stories -- that you're able to share them with us. And you're bestowing that grace upon us.

Unknown said...

Yes, then Praise God for this last best time. Thank you for writing this. I've been really thinking about my Grandfather lately. He was always there for me and with me. Been missing him. I had a great last time with Him. Thank You so much.

Unknown said...

Yes, then praise God for the last Best time. Thank you for writing this. I've been thinking of and missing my grandfather lately. He was always there for me and with me. We had a great last time because He was with me that day. Thank you so much.

Sheryl said...

The joy thief is a messenger of the evil one . . . oh! He certainly is. It looks like circumstances have been beyond tough for you. It also looks like you've refuted the joy-thief time and time again. May you persevere with joy!

Anonymous said...

The last best day with my mother was the day she died. We laughed and I asked and she answered and she died. And soon - a few decades at the MOST! I will likely join her in praising Jesus! So soon! So soon! It is almost upon us, even if He should linger! PRAISE THE LORD! PRAISE THE LORD! LET THE EARTH HEAR HIS VOICE!

Thank you for sharing your delicious children with me this day! Love, Mama

Kelli said...

Understand that joy-thief that sneaks up on you and whispers that you should be afraid is a thief. I like this. I really enjoyed reading this. These scary times are the ones we have to love God for who He is not what He does. That's hard to do when we dont always understand His hand.

SomeGirl said...

May God be glorified in your best (and worst) times! Praising God with you for this last best time and praying for many more to come! Love, Michelle

Turquoise Gates said...

Kelli - loving God for who He is instead of what He does...wow!! I'm going to be thinking about that for a long time. Thanks for popping in, everybody!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Oh Genevieve, you writing deep wisdom with the sharp edge of your heart... with one last line like that: "If this is the *last* best time, then praise be to God my Father for the BEST time."

That there was one best time at all... why are we allowed one best time at all? And yes, if it's the last, it's only the last best time here... because in God there is no end, and the forever best still lays stretched out before us.

Thank you -- your wisdom gently mentors me and your brave walk girds my weak knees and your love for Him makes me hunger more.

I give thanks for you....

All's grace,
Ann

Turquoise Gates said...

Thank, you, Ann. My grandmother had lost her beloved husband of over 60 years, and was feeling fearful about moving to a new apartment. My mother gently asked her, "What is the worst thing you fear?" Grandma worriedly answered, "Well, someone could break in and kill me!" Then she giggled, and her whole face filled with peace, and she said, "I guess that's not so bad, is it?!!" She died later that night, totally unexpectedly.

When we reach that place, when God tears away the walls of fear and we are forced to look death in the face, we find it is not something to fight after all, but to surrender to, knowing the One Who knows all has us safely in His grip the whole time.

Post a Comment