Miraculous, unbounded kindness

Less than 0.05% of women get pregnant in the first 18 months following a tubal ligation, permanent female sterilization. The surgery I had in late May, 2008. I'm guessing very few of those 5 women in every 10,000 underwent cancer treatment in the same 18 month interval. I knew before I took the test, this was one miracle that was going to knock my socks off, knock me right off my feet, most likely. After weeks of waiting in vain for a sign that I wasn't pregnant, I finally caved and took a home pregnancy test at 4 this morning. And I stood, staring at the two pink lines, thinking, "God, I can't believe you sometimes! I just can't believe this! I can't believe this!"

Less than 30 days ago, as I pondered the upcoming adoptions some friends are undertaking alongside our own stalemate on the adoption front, I sat down and poured my heart out to God. I don't feel ready to be done having children, I told Him. I have unhealed wounds from weaning Caleb so early, from getting the tubal without much time to ponder where I was at emotionally, spiritually, physically. I feel like I need another chance to finish this part of my life. I know it might be grief...cancer grief, to be specific. I am just telling you the desires of my heart. This is my desire. In Your time, please send me another child. At first I didn't think at all of the possibility of becoming pregnant again...not until my cycle was a few days late. Then I started to wonder, but it was just a passing inquisitiveness, not really founded in any realistic expectation.

And then another week passed. And another. And I did start to wonder. Not enough to destroy the element of shock and surprise when that second pink line showed up on the test strip this morning at 4 a.m.! Too excited to sleep, I went to the kitchen for a snack and some reflection on how my life just did a 180...again! Katy found me in the kitchen, sat on my lap, shared in my ecstatic, exuberant, disbelieving joy. What fun to share that news with your oldest in the middle of the night. Neither of us slept much more. I repeated the test at 7, and left the stick and a note for Aaron on the vanity (quite a far cry from the "baby" themed feast I made for him to announce Caleb's impending arrival! After baby spinach, baby carrots, baby dill pickles, baby back ribs, and baby red potatoes...he still didn't get it! I figured I'd go for obvious this time around). A few dozen celebratory phone calls, and I still haven't come down. It's the giddiest news I've ever gotten!

More concrete proof in my life story that God is here...and He is listening, and loving, and lavishing.

There are consequences, choices to be made as usual. When you're still not out of that active cancer phase, nothing is uncomplicated. To further cloud the joy (as if anything could cloud it on this happy day!) is the specter of ectopic, or tubal, pregnancy. I am at increased risk. Please keep my Wednesday ultrasound in your prayers...please keep my baby and my own body in your prayers! And remember to offer up praise, for our God is an awesome God, and He reigns...in heaven and here, in infertile and scarred bodies offered up as offerings of worship to His throne. (Listen to this passage heard first in Nehemiah 1 and echoed in chapter 9, set to music here by Hillsong United)

5 comments:

Jason Kanz said...

Gen,
All I can say is wow. I truly believe sometimes God does the impossible just to make us say, "WOW!"

Unknown said...

Steve and I are beyond thrilled, rejoicing in the Lord's shocking kindnesses! Thank you so much for calling and telling me the news! Hearing Aaron's voice, talking to you about parenting, the God's miracle in you...it all just made me want to hop on a plane to celebrate with you all! I got missing pangs (there is actually a word for this in Portuguese and it is in times like this that I wish for one in English). Anyways, LOVE YOU and dancing with you from afar!

Melody said...

Congratulations and I will be praying on Wednesday for you and for continued protection over you and the baby God has allowed to form inside you. Praising the Lord with you.

Julie said...

I have been following your blog for quite some time now. Our lives share lots of similarities and differences. Part of me thinks it would be a real blessing to visit and to share stories! Congrats on your news, I hope that is me sometime soon as well. Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot for yourself or your children? All the best in the upcoming while, God is good!

Dr. Swill said...

Hello Genevieve!

wanted to let you know about an interesting cancer blog a group of cancer patients have been working on.

A fellow tongue cancer patient was sent home to die. There was nothing more that can be done. Cancer survivors ask him life altering questions.

Please read: Dead Man Talking http://beyondtheglassdoor.blogspot.com

Peace B

Post a Comment