Thyrogen begins

So I had my injection of Thyrogen this morning - the drug that increases your thyroid stimulating hormone rapidly over 2 days of injections so that the whole body scan will be accurate without me going off my medications. I am already having side effects. Here is a list of the possible - I have italicized the ones I am currently experiencing. So much for cleaning my house and preparing much over the next 2 days! I was winded and nearly fainted while changing the sheets on my bed this afternoon. I am off to take a nap with the kids. What else is a sick mama to do? In other health news, I can drive as long as I don't faint, so that is cool. I also need surgery for my ovarian swelling (the mass was 3x5x4.5 inches last time it was measured). However, my doctor feels it can wait until after the scan and/or Christmas, as long as my pain doesn't either worsen or get remarkably better, indicating the mass has ruptured. (??)


Thyrogen side effects, many of which I've already started experiencing since my injection this morning, include:
  • Nausea & vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness
  • Numbness/tingling in arms & legs
  • Profound fatigue/sleepiness
  • Lack of feeling in fingers and toes
  • High blood cholesterol (sudden rise)
  • Sore nose/throat
  • Dry eyes/mouth (hello again, fake spit, my old friend!)
  • Insomnia
  • Headache
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Severe cough
  • Itchiness/redness of skin, hives, all-body rash
  • Chills, shivering, fevers
  • Severe muscle aches
This is what I signed up for, so that I don't have to go through the same symptoms for 6 weeks prior to the scan and the 3 months afterward. I will have a similar recovery period, it is just a sudden descent into the hypothyroidism. My recovery may be slightly shorter because I will never be totally off my thyroid replacement hormone. So far, I would say this is worse than going hypothyroid - but I am withholding judgment until I am completely done with the process - in about March!

Please lift our family up in prayer whenever you think of it in the next week. I leave Wednesday at 11 a.m. and won't be home until Monday at 11 a.m. I believe it is going to be a struggle to get packed - I am hoping to recruit some help from my friends at the sledding/cookie party I am throwing in my messy house tomorrow!

This passage from I Peter 1 held us up during Amelia's long illness, and continues to be an encouragement to me today through this newest trial through which God has called me to walk:

According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is just hard to know what to say. I am here. We are praying. I want to bring you to your next injection.

Amy said...

Yes, its true. It is just hard. I am here too.

love,

Amy

Daria said...

Those side effects sound absolutely awful ... hope they are minimal in your case.

Post a Comment