One last fling

Cancer is really cool in one, specific way: it slows time, crystallizing life in the still frames, making each moment sweeter and more precious. When life is good, life is really, really good. It's that old dog, Perspective, barking at my door. One last day to soak up my kids, one last day to make everything count. One last day to make memories. It always feels like it could be the last day of your life, as you pack your bags and their bags so that you can be apart for a week just before Christmas. It brings home the reality that you've been ignoring for the past three months: But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

Rosenmunnar: an old Swedish recipe that has only three ingredients: 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, creamed together; add 2 cups of flour, just mix. Form in little balls of buttery happiness.

Get the kids in on the fun:
have them put a thumbprint in each cookie, right in the center. Fill their thumbprints with your favorite preserves (ours is boysenberry for these cookies). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until just golden brown around the edges.


Try to take a rest on the couch while the cookies are baking.
If you have kids around, they will most likely see this as:
A) a great opportunity to cuddle,
or
B) a great opportunity to wrestle.

Once the cookies are cooling on racks, head outside to eat some snow. Makes any cookie taste sweeter. If you can't get the sleds to slide on the ice-crystals formed by the below zero weather, why not just roll down the hill for a while?



Serve up some hot cocoa in fine china to go with your cookies.

Top with some perfect dimples in icy red cheeks.

Glory in the morning sun and the effusive beauty of baby skin.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor: seconda's smile...

...stories on the couch...


...and a head-banging piano lesson from best friends.

In other, random things I've enjoyed today, the music of Pomplamoose matches my mood this season.

Tomorrow is my last morning with my kids for the week. Then off to all those things I haven't done since March: coffee alone with a friend, lunch at another friend's home, bowling, a party with Aaron's co-workers, nights alone, sleeping on my stomach and staying up till all hours and sleeping in. Pray me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy thought we said 'poisonberry' and very soberly ate a spoonful. She reported, 'Say, you don't die from this!' Brave girl.

All brave girls. And a boy for spice.


hypold - shorthand for how being hypothyroid makes you feel o - l - d.

Anonymous said...

If God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, do you really want me to pray for luck? I read your blog to know how to pray for you but I don't believe God says yes to prayers for luck.
I will continue to pray for healing, strength, wisdom, patience, well behaved and content children etc etc...

Turquoise Gates said...

Dear anonymous,
Just a simple change of words so common in our culture - "wish me luck" - I would prefer you pray it for me, as I know prayers are far more powerful than any "wish". It is not "luck" I truly desire, but the will of God - which hopefully includes my full healing.

Post a Comment