Milk


It's what Abraham chose to serve the angels that visited him to announce the upcoming birth of his son in Genesis 18.


It's how mothers have let love flow since the beginning of time.



It is a reward (Exodus), a blessing (Leviticus), and provision (Psalms).




In the Old Testament, the Law is compared to milk given back to children already weaned.
Who is it he is trying to teach?
To whom is he explaining his message?
To children weaned from their milk,
to those just taken from the breast?
So the word of the Lord shall become to them:
Do and do, do and do,
rule on rule, rule on rule;
a little here, a little there.
(Isaiah 28:9 & 13)





In the New Testament, these verses hit me hard.  I just failed my
comprehensive exam.  The doctoral degree that was just about
within my grasp...nay, my strong grip...seems elusive.  Whether
this latest bout is blessing, curse, punishment, or persecution, I
cannot say.  But the Word speaks, and I must bend to listen.

We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. (Hebrews 5:11-13)


Do I know righteousness?  Have I allowed myself to drink spiritual milk too long? Have I ignored sins God was trying to squeeze out of my gently?  Will I ever be done learning the "elementary truths of the Word again", ever?  Is there an end to this learn, do, forget, repeat?


Robbie conducted a symphony for my camera, a silent song of mother's love and baby trust, provision and silence and awe and beauty and mystery.  A symphony of words, too, that came tumbling back from Scripture long ago read.  As I stumble through, trying to make sense out of latest catastrophes with a jumbled brain, I simply thank God for witnessing the symphony.

Praise be to the Lord,
for being here to see,
for seeing,
for hearing the Word whispered oh so softly, sweetly,
for a symphony,
for baby love,
for "milk",
for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment