Hiccup

Main Entry: hic·cup
Variant(s): also hic·cough \ˈhi-(ˌ)kəp\
Function: noun
Etymology: imitative
Date: circa 1580
1 : a spasmodic inhalation with closure of the glottis accompanied by a peculiar sound
2 : an attack of hiccuping —usually used in plural but singular or plural in construction
3 : a slight irregularity, error, or malfunction (a few hiccups in the computer system) b : a usually minor and short-lived interruption or disruption, or change (a hiccup in the stock market)

I have had several 2 hour bouts of hiccups since coming home, which seems just strange, but not too noteworthy.  I like the level 3 definition from Miriam-Webster.  Until you look through your new "User's Manual" for your recently implanted pacemaker and see: "If you experience an unusual number or extended episodes of hiccups, please call the on-call physician immediately."  Okay.  So I am going in at 12:30 to have my pacemaker checked and they are going to turn it up from less than 1 volt (which is what it is set at now) to 10 volts (ouch) to see if they can induce the hiccuping.  If they can, I will be going back to the cath lab for a wire revision.  This involves opening up the pacer pocket, and moving the wires until they are in a better position.  It obviously involves another surgical procedure, probably another night in the hospital, and increased risk for infection, bleeding, or injury to my heart.  So I would really appreciate it if everyone could be praying HARD that I don't need the revision and it's just some strange random hiccuping.

It is good to remember "the Lord has hold of me" and He is "my encircling shield, my glory".  I have nothing to fear - yet so much to lose.
We may think we are on guard, and suddenly a dart comes at us from an unexpected angle. We can't cover all the possibilities. We dodge and duck, but some of the fears get to us--unless we take refuge in the Lord. The psalmist calls Him "my encircling shield, my glory." No need to stare into the darkness, allowing our imaginations to torment us with the "what ifs"--"Now I can lie down and go to sleep and then awake, for the Lord has hold of me" (Ps 3:3,5 JB).  ~ from Elisabeth Elliot's online devotional today

No comments:

Post a Comment