Sotto voce...

I spoke with the surgeon's resident and nurse this afternoon regarding my voice. I had my voice back for about 48 hours after surgery and it seems to have gotten progressively more difficult to make any noise above a whisper. This afternoon, nothing but whisper is coming out at all when I try to talk. I also have a feeling of constriction in my throat, which the resident said is consistent with one-sided vocal cord paralysis. He is horrified that I may have nerve damage, as they felt they were able to completely preserve my nerves. There are several possible reasons for the current problem:
  1. inflammation from the surgery, which would resolve over time,
  2. "poisoning" of the nerves related to cell death in the area of the surgery
  3. nerve damage from the physical manipulation of the surgery
Please pray that this would be a simple case of inflammation post-surgically, and that it would start to resolve quickly in the next few days. If I am still unable to speak normally by Thursday, I will be heading back down to Mayo for electrical stimulation testing of my vocal cords and a possible bronchoscopy while they are at it. This would involve a same-day visit to the hospital, more sedation, and more separation from my kids, especially my little nursling, Caleb. I would appreciate your prayers!


"So I say, "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the LORD." I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young. Let him sit alone in silence, for the LORD has laid it on him. Let him bury his face in the dust— there may yet be hope. For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men."

~ Lamentation 3:18-33 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for your whisper! I am so thankful that you can 'speak' to me!!! Precious, precious are your thoughts. And to think THIS IS HOW GOD FEELS ABOUT US! Love, Mama

Post a Comment