A Warrior's Homecoming

"Before the throne of God above,
I have a strong, a perfect plea
A great High Priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
One with Himself I cannot die,
My soul is purchased with His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God...
With Christ my Savior and my God!"

~ words by Charitie Bancroft, 1863

My grandma went before us all through the gates of heaven this evening. Fern was a woman of faith, conviction, humor, and great self-sacrificing love. She conquered so much evil and pain throughout her life to become a beautiful, peaceful elderly woman. I have many, many dear memories of her from earliest childhood all the way through watching her be a great grandmother to my girls. To the day of her death, she had me on her prayer list, and always whispered to me, "I love you but Jesus loves you more!"

Like many saints before her, her death was peaceful and beautiful. I felt Jesus' presence tonight like I have not felt it for years. Huddled close to her bed, singing hymns and psalms of old days, her entire family was under His wings tonight as they ushered Grandma Fern to that 'golden strand'.

Another dear friend to greet when I get there!

"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."
I Corinthians 2:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment