What's that smell?

"...thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." ~ II Corinthians 2:15-16 ESV

Those of you who know me well know that smell is probably my most treasured sense. I was thinking about smells last night when I was awake in the middle of the night. I smell like surgery. As a nurse, this is a very familiar smell to me, and has never seemed too unpleasant. However, juxtaposing that scent with the smells of my babies in bed with me was unpleasant! My babies smell like...well, babies! And I did not want to get the smells of sickness on them. I got up and took a second shower, but came to the conclusion the smell was emanating from me - not just on me!

What a beautiful word picture Paul gives us in II Corinthians when he states that "we are to God the aroma of Christ"! How amazing that something recently dead could smell so sweet. The smell of sickness that clung to me before has been forever concealed by the sweet odor of Christ's resurrection. Instead of leaving the lingering odor of surgery behind me as I traveled through the halls at Mayo this past week, Christ was, through me, "spreading everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him." What a blessing to be the vehicle of such a beautiful and peaceful scent!

We will seek you first, Lord,

You will hear our voices

Early in the morning and late in the night

We will sing Your praises,

Giving You the glory

Offering our lives to You, a holy sacrifice.

May our praise arise as incense,
Oh Lord, to You.

May our worship be a fragrance,

Oh Lord, to You...

~ Shane Barnard, Oh Lord to You

No comments:

Post a Comment