Focusing outward in prayer

Having cancer cells lurking around in your body can make a person quite introspective, I've come to find. For weeks, almost every prayer was a cry - "Please heal me!" At our annual church camp in late September, I realized that my prayers had become quite "selfish" in that I was forgetting the rest of my usual prayer list in favor of prayer for my own life. I immediately set about changing that. Each child has a person they are praying for (Amy prays for me, sweet girl), and we have integrated prayer times into our day at meals, naps, bedtime, and snacktimes. It is really awesome to watch the girls developing in this area. Amy's little prayers are so sweet - she changes her voice to this little endearing pout, kind of, and prays an entire paragraph with few prompts. Rosy is long-winded in prayer, adding all kinds of creative thoughts and word pictures to her prayers. And Katy is very matter-of-fact and to the point (shocker!).

It has been really enjoyable to experience some success in this little area with the kids. I have also tried to become more diligent about praying for my children, and I found this chart through a friend. I think it will get much use, especially during my two weeks away!
http://navigatorsdetroit.com/2005-11 20 Praying for our Children.pdf

I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. ~ John 17:9

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like that chart, I have printed it and will use it during my morning devotionals. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I, too, printed the chart out for myself. Any benefit to one's prayer life is worth a sheet of paper and a little ink. I also sent the link to my children to look at as well. Thank you, Gen, you are a special part of our lives and our prayer life. We love you and your family.

--Larine

Post a Comment