Keeping my hand to the plow

...visible things are signs of an invisible reality; that common duties may be "an immeasurable ministry of love." The spiritual training of souls must be inseparable from practical disciplines, as Jesus so plainly taught; "The man who can be trusted in little things can be trusted in great; the man who is dishonest in little things will be dishonest in great. If then you cannot be trusted with money, that tainted thing, who will trust you with genuine riches! And if you cannot be trusted with what is not yours, who will give you what is your very own?" (Luke 16:10-12, JB). (The footnote to "your very own" says, "Jesus is speaking of the most intimate Possessions a man can have; these are spiritual.")

~ Elisabeth Elliot, Keep a Quiet Heart

I have been asked many times whether I will be taking a leave of absence from school, seeking help with my housework or childcare, giving up this commitment or that one. I haven't yet. It is a little more difficult than it used to be to fit everything in, but I feel as though the duties I perform as wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, part of the body of Christ at my church...it is these things that define me and bring my life purpose. Keeping hands and feet busy is a sure way to avoid pity-parties, my mother always used to say. She was right! When I am focused outward - on my children, husband, family or friends - it is impossible to be too introspective, brooding, anxious, wracked by sorrow. There is no room in a busy mother's day for more than a few tears, a few moments of aching in the heart. I must go on, and it is so wonderfully freeing to do so.

This from the "Mother's Topical Bible" on the topic When You Feel Overwhelmed by Your Responsibilities...reminds me that no mere physical ailment or emotional sorrow can possibly overwhelm me - for I have all the tools and strength of my Savior at my disposal, if I will only ask! That is the "reason for my hope" (I Peter 3:15) in these difficult days of lacking something my physical body needs to live and work. I am trusting that God is sufficient in this, as in every human struggle I will ever face.

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." ~ II Corinthians 10:3-5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Genevieve,

You do not know me but I am your mother’s mentor for the course, The Lord’s Table, that she is doing and she informed me about your situation. The Lord often leads me to pray for you even at times will wake me up at night with you on the frontal of my mind. Of course, I am obedient and immediately start praying mainly for your healing, a miracle to take place showing all of our great God’s glory.

Your blog has truly been an inspiration and blessing to me even though as I read it, I have tears of sadness. The Lord has bless you with much faith and trust in Him, which will definitely keep you in His loving peace, joy and comfort as you go through this trial in your life. Just today, as I was reading your blog, I realized that it would make a very inspiring book for one to read especially one that has cancer in their body or a family member’s body. Your writing is very touching and inspirational, giving much hope in the Lord and as I always say as long as we are breathing and have Jesus, we have hope!! My prayer for you Romans 15:13, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

May God continue to bless you, your dear husband, precious children and all of your family with His love, peace, comfort, and joy, knowing He is your daily Substance.

Post a Comment