See our tears


A long, giggly conversation with a good friend was just what I needed. That, and remembering what their family has been through. Remembering that this trial will not consume me. This trial will not erase what has gone before, nor will it render mute the future God has in store for us. It is just a low valley in the middle.

My friend's dad was held in captivity in Eastern Europe, while his daughter and her family faced crisis after crisis in the health of their tiny son, Caleb. We named our own son after this amazing little warrior for the Gospel. What that grandfather must have been thinking as he sat, locked up and helpless, and prayed the prayer of Hezekiah from the Old Testament! How encouraged I am tonight as I read that story and believe anew that, as Jesus told us, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26)

In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, "This is what the LORD says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover." Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, "Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." And Hezekiah wept bitterly.

Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him: "Go back and tell Hezekiah, the leader of my people, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the LORD. I will add fifteen years to your life. And I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for my sake and for the sake of my servant David.' " (from II Kings 20)

Lift us up in prayer today, please: the "home kids" are at the Gerbers, and Amelia, Grandma Debra and I are at the Blood & Marrow Transplant Clinic meeting an immunologist and a geneticist to determine next steps.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, my friend. I love you. In rereading these passages my feeble faith is bolstered as well. The Lord in you, bolsters my faith. I am forever thankful for the Lords providence of our friendship. Forged during seasons of suffering and loss but not unable to embrace joy and laughter. We stand with you in all these things.

Post a Comment